Author Topic: Fork rebuild  (Read 930 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
Fork rebuild
« on: June 19, 2011, 06:07:24 pm »
Just doing an oil change in a set of forks and noticed the oil was a little sludgey/gludgey toward the end.
I was thinking it may pay to rinse the whole system out. What would be the best rinse to use ?

Offline Kane Mcguire

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: Fork rebuild
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 06:52:38 pm »
i reckon kero.

oldfart

« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 07:06:39 pm »
Pull them totaly apart and do the the job properly.... In the end it will pay divdends.

cheapracer

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 09:44:24 pm »

I was thinking it may pay to rinse the whole system out. What would be the best rinse to use ?

Diesel is the one for the job, use the correct amount and ride around for a while, diesel has lubricating properties so you won't do any damage (in fact it has some uses as a light weight oil in industry and Mercedes Benz automatics).

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2011, 11:36:19 pm »
I agree, best to pull them apart and do it properly, but, if it's the night before a ride and you just decided to change the fork oil rather than sleep and it came out mucky, then I have used kero, and I remove the top nut and pull the spring and put a dose of kero in and hand screw the top nut back on and "hand pump" the lower leg up and down, then drain and repeat untill all comes out clean. Dirsel would be probable be just as good.  Works for me.