Author Topic: changing forks  (Read 1973 times)

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
changing forks
« on: February 11, 2008, 09:51:29 pm »
What would be the possible implications of changing forks to leading axle from a set with the axle at the bottom of the leg (not sure what you call them) ??? ??? Wobbly steering perhaps?

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
Re: changing forks
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2008, 10:21:35 pm »
hey Evo,

How the bike will handle depends on the total offset between the front axle and steering shaft and how much you change it.

Most forks with inline axles have a lot of offset in the triple clamps, and most forks with leading axles have little offset in the triples.

If you increase the total offset you will reduce the trail and the bike will turn on a 1c piece but be unstable.

Decrease the offset and the bike will turn slower but be stable.

With my XT500s I reduce the offset by about 7mm to increase the trail to make them stable but steepen the steering head angle to make them turn better.

Hope this helps

Brent

The older I get, the faster I was

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2008, 08:09:09 pm »
Brent,
So if I leave the clamps as standard and change the forks from inline axle to leading axle then it will increase stability and slow steering??

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2008, 10:05:15 pm »
Evo,

Sorry, it will be the other way around.

By changing to leading axle forks (I'm assuming from inline?) you will increase the offset which will reduce the trail. This will make the bike very quick in the steering and unstable.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was