Author Topic: what do you think  (Read 2498 times)

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile

Desert Rat

Re: what do you think
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2011, 04:24:03 pm »
Looks good, but outside the spirit of vintage motocross........... in my opinion...........   ;)

mx250

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2011, 04:48:41 pm »
Looks good, but outside the spirit of vintage motocross........... in my opinion...........   ;)
Not in England, in Europe and America  ;) 8)

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2011, 05:00:57 pm »
You could end up with this.  Excellent machine for the Twin Shock class.  Matt Milsom recently built it in the UK.

Offline mustanggrahame

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2011, 07:00:21 pm »
Wouldn't the engine have to come from an Evo Honda to be Evo eligible? If this was done then I guess there is no argument against it. I prefer to see bikes that you would have seen on the start line when the bikes were new. Obviously there wouldn't have been one of these. So on a personal level NO.
Cheers, Grahame
RT1, DT1F, MX100A, TY80A, YZ80D, DT125E, CR125RE, 1982 KTM125RV, 1985 Can Am ASE, 1989 YZ250WR, 1991 YZ250WR

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2011, 07:12:17 pm »
I agree with you, Grahame - but getting concencus on that is like asking Tony Abbott or Julia Gillard to stop being crap - it ain't gonna happen....
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2011, 09:39:30 am »
I have never been a fan of blending different makes of bikes, and as Graeme has stated I too look to see what I saw racing from the period. It stikes me that if you have a lot of bike bits lying around you could do this as a novelty, but you should not be allowed to race it in competition.
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2011, 10:02:38 am »
With regard to blending of bikes---in the early days "blending" was commonplace. The first world title was won on a 7R AJS 350cc road race engine enlarged to 500 with BSA parts in a BSA based frame with Norton Roadholder [I think] forks. Nearly all the Hedlund, Monark, Lito, Husky etc were hybrids. Tribsas were the poor man's [or innovators] alternative to the expensive Goldstar, and led on to the Metisse. Forward to the 70s and on to the current vintage movement and take away the blends, [Metisse, Cheney, Hindle, C&J etc, then remove the japanese powered Maico, CZ, Husky chassis specials etc and you take a huge chunk out of our fields.
It's great to see correct, original production bikes, but there's a place for both.

Offline pirie593

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2011, 01:23:32 pm »
Let's not forget the pleasure a builder might get from engineering a bike that looks great and performs very well.  Some people like to look at bikes while others like to build them.

Offline head

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2011, 01:41:48 pm »
Well said. As long as parts are from the right era, there should be no problem.

cheapracer

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2011, 02:10:12 pm »

That's the one.

There were lots of modded and ratty looking bikes back pre '75 but you tend to only see the magazine pictured bikes up the pointy end which of course are mostly supported riders and the factories want those as stock looking as possible.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2011, 02:40:06 pm »
It might not be legal here but it is in the UK Twinshock class and that's what it was built for.. horses for courses. Cool bike :)

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2011, 04:46:40 pm »

That's the one.

There were lots of modded and ratty looking bikes back pre '75 but you tend to only see the magazine pictured bikes up the pointy end which of course are mostly supported riders and the factories want those as stock looking as possible.

This is why I have a problem with the GTRs re sliders.
 Up till the time I raced regularly prior to lifes priorities [1973] there were quite a lot of variations in the slider scene.
 Twin cylinders, + OH cams, 4 valves etc, but still easily recogniseable as sliders.
 I recon these types of 'specials' should fit nicely into the scheme of things.
 [I have been back riding dirt again since the early nineties]
 cheers pancho.

dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2011, 04:49:00 pm »
 I dont know what I did to stuff up that, of course the bottom half of that is mine" ???
dont follow me i'm probably off line!