Author Topic: Mikuni needle, part 2, taper start.  (Read 1071 times)

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Mikuni needle, part 2, taper start.
« on: September 03, 2024, 01:35:55 pm »
Regarding Mikuni 6-series needles, I have always wondered, " how much of the needle straight section is still available after the idle position of the slide" so I measured it. Mikuni quote a distance to the start of the taper for all their needles, but, how does that relate to throttle application?

These measurements were taken on my VM38 with right side idle adjuster (my left side idle adjuster measures differently, turns out it's an OEM Kawa slide.) I guess there is a bit of variation between the various models of VM carbs, especially when it comes to Chinese carbs, my Chinese carbs measured way different.

I took the measurements with the slide at 1.00mm from totally bottomed-out, my bike had the idle running sweet at .9mm but I've had some bikes that had the slide raised about 2.0mm at idle, although I think the idle mixture too rich and necessitated the extra air from a higher slide?

« Last Edit: September 03, 2024, 04:40:17 pm by John Orchard »
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.

Offline Wasp

• A-Grade
  • Your Suspension Solution since 1989
    • View Profile
    • Suspensionshop
Re: Mikuni needle, part 2, taper start.
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2024, 02:54:08 pm »
I got a company in Brisbane to make me some overzize blanks for my 750 triple. I then linished them down , till I hit the sweet spot.
VMX shocks , We don't just sell them - I design and produce them individually for you since 1989.

Offline John Orchard

• Legend
  • ^^^ July 1984
    • View Profile
Re: Mikuni needle, part 2, taper start.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2024, 04:38:10 pm »
I got a company in Brisbane to make me some overzize blanks for my 750 triple. I then linished them down , till I hit the sweet spot.

On my Honda VTR1000F, I used stock needles in the 48 CV's, but I turned-down the bottom half (from 1/2 throttle on) to match Dynojet needles, love it !
Johnny O - Tahition_Red factory rider.