Author Topic: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?  (Read 39326 times)

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: cheap Metisse frames kits - interest?
« Reply #120 on: May 20, 2011, 11:32:41 am »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

cheapracer

« Reply #121 on: May 20, 2011, 11:45:30 am »
Before you mentioned picking up some 32mm 1020 DOM.... isnt that mild steel Mark?....

Yes the same as cheese is cheese and wine is wine.

Possibly you could Google 1020/1026 Vs CrMo and read the millions of sentences on the subject besides checking up on "mild steel" and educate yourself along with TeeBone and that should include educating yourselves on the various types of CrMo as well as the various international standards or did you think theres just one?

..I still think you should be making consumables.....seat bases for alot of bikes, airboxes .......the list goes on.....

Thank you, that would be an ideal tip for someone looking to go into business in the VMX area but I'm not.

« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 02:52:12 pm by cheapracer »

cheapracer

« Reply #122 on: May 20, 2011, 11:55:06 am »
I think you've addressed everyones concerns by not answering my questions.

I'm finished with this thread, it's gone into overtime. I'll return to it when I have something to show - predictable comments coming on that.

firko

« Reply #123 on: May 20, 2011, 03:49:40 pm »
I'm finished with this thread, it's gone into overtime. I'll return to it when I have something to show - predictable comments coming on that.
Don't be like that Mark ;D . The open discussion and exchange of ideas and thoughts is the best way of making sure any possible production snags are addressed. I'd have thought that you'd welcome constructive critism and advice with open arms. We're merely trying to help you understand what's needed to produce the Metisse frame you propose properly. I'm trying to save you a lot of mucking around and guesswork with my jigging advice. With the pre '65 class being so closely monitored by many, including from within your own inner circle, I'd have thought that doing it correctly would have been a major priority. Unfortunately it appears that I'm wrong. It's beginning to appear that "looks close enough" is the standard you've set which is such a pity as it's actually easier to do it the right way than any other way. What a shame. :'(
« Last Edit: May 20, 2011, 03:55:26 pm by firko »

cheapracer

« Reply #124 on: May 20, 2011, 05:22:29 pm »
My Chinese is not great but my English is and I have stated repeatedly, but no more, that the frames will be legal otherwise there is no point.

replica
noun /?rep.l?.k?/ [C]

Definition:
an exact copy of an object

exact
adjective /?g?zækt/

Definition
in great detail, or complete, correct or true in every way; precise

You neither know my skill level, my background nor my method to accomplish this nor is there a product available to judge from and yet you make slanderish bullshit determinations because you don't get your own way.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 20, 2011, 05:47:59 pm »
1020 over here is mild steel Mark.....in China it might be chrome moly? ???
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 20, 2011, 05:52:34 pm »
My Chinese is not great but my English is

slanderish

;)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

cheapracer

« Reply #127 on: May 20, 2011, 06:09:50 pm »
1020 over here is mild steel Mark.....in China it might be chrome moly? ???

Shutup and check ur privates. Not those privates, ur PM's!

Seriously theres enough info out there about the steel topic without this thread needing to go over it, it's a very old argument.

I've asked Graeme to lock it until a frame is done, it's going nowhere ....   

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #128 on: May 20, 2011, 06:11:26 pm »
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz woohooo  zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

cheapracer

« Reply #129 on: May 21, 2011, 12:25:12 am »
Now that I can discuss things a bit more quietly ...

For those who are technically interested I am getting 3D Laser Scans of various bikes which will then be "straightened" in a computer and a jig made from those dimensions accordingly(again with laser measuring equipment), then a frame will be built on that jig and then that frame will be laser scanned again and compared to the original scan and the jig adjusted as required.

After spending some time with Dave Kellet and sending quite a number of people to him over the years, rarely is there such thing as a straight frame and jigging from a 20 year old, 30 year old or worse still a genuine '60's motocrosser thats had the life bashed out of it is just silly. 

BTW, many top racers around Brisbane (and further away) buy a brand new bike for road or racing (sportsbike and MX) and the first place it goes is Dave's and should be on the "must do" list for an old VMX bike, the riding difference is worth more in time around a lap than any other engine mod you could make for the same price besides the safety aspect of a bike that tracks properly over whoops and jumps.

Hope that helps, see ya's soon with some results.

cheapracer

« Reply #130 on: May 24, 2011, 10:32:28 pm »
I have one of these on the way to me to have a look at, a brand new NOS 1950's BMW/Ural/Chang Jiang 750 sidecar front wheel and brake assembly.

Genuine entirely provable pre '65, 40 spoke wheel and cheap as chips. They are 19" standard but 40 spoke 21" 'H' (Akront) rims are being currently. The rear is the same wheel and brake other than the shaft drive up the guts.

I'll gives ya's a run down on it when it arrives.