Author Topic: Manjimup-Cosy Creek WA  (Read 4133 times)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Manjimup-Cosy Creek WA
« on: April 16, 2010, 07:37:57 pm »
Motocross News
Manjimup 15,000 looking to return to former glory
Posted: Thursday, 15th April, 2010 : 9:12 PM - - 776 Reads
Western Australia's Manjimup 15,000 looks to be re-emerging as one of the Australia's most prestigious events with plenty of speculation and interest in the 2010 edition.

Dirt High Promotions, the team behind the classic event, have high hopes and plenty of ambition to see the Cosy Creek Motocross Circuit in the small town of Manjimup once again buzzing on Sunday the 6th of June.

2010 marks the 20th anniversary of the much loved event which saw humble beginnings. In 1980 the first event was won by UK rider Roger Harvey with local rider Neville Cutts filling the runner up spot. The event quickly went on to become one of the "Must do" events.

The circuit quickly gained a world wide reputation, culmination in the 1992 Motocross of Nations which saw Americans Jeff Emig, Mike LaRocco and Billy Liles conquer the deep sands to take the trophy back to the USA.

Over the years the event has seen a host of high caliber local and international riders do battle in the tough demanding conditions. Jeff Leisk, Jimmy Ellis, Dale Britton, Jason Marshall, Kim Ashkenazi, Craig Dack, Lee Hogan and Eddie Warren have taken on the deep sands in an effort to add the Manjimup 15,000 to their win list .

In 2010 the success of the event will be in the top name riders that can be attracted back to the event. Organisers are tight lipped on who the confirmed teams and riders are so far.

Rumors abound that the likes of Leisk, Ellis, and Hogan will be lured out to tackle the might of the Manjimup 15,000.

Speaking with KTM boss and former World Number 2 Jeff Leisk, who would not be drawn into an answer either way, although Leisk did comment that, “Manjimup is a pretty tough track, and hard on the body. I rode it last year and I think it’s certainly one of the best tracks in Australia. There are rumors out there at the moment, and I am looking at doing some more riding as I prepare to ride with my 1989 team mates in the UK in September this year”.

Perhaps the hills of Manjimup will be alive to the names of Dack, Gunter, Gall, Hogan, Britton, or the surprise packages will come out of Ireland, France and Italy?

UK rider and champ, Brad Anderson, is one confirmed name coming to WA's south west for the event.

Anderson this year is contesting the Maxxis ACU British Championship, Red Bull Pro Nationals and the Wulfsport British Masters. The 'working class hero' is known for his breathtaking speed and motivation will be looking to keep hold of that famous 'No1 Plate', in the UK. After a quick on-line chat, Anderson said he was keen to check out the Manjimup track and was looking forward to the race meet in June.

Various sponsorship and advertising packages are available, so to secure your sponsorship for WA’s most prestigious outdoor MX event. For more info on the 2010 Manjimup 15,000, jump onto www.williethomson.com, or contact Linda on 0429450125 or by email to [email protected]
Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Manjimup-Cosy Creek WA
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2010, 09:16:39 pm »
we're all just waiting for entry to open to fill the pre85 support class
1973 Rickman Zundapp Metisse, to rebuild
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 10:23:03 pm »
Damn straight, Tossa : sadly, I have no hope in the pre-'85 club of picking up the #66 plate, once again they've given it to someone QUICK ! But two things stick out from the above info : the generalisation about the 1992 result overlooks the fact that the amazing JEAN-MICHEL BAYLE pantsed everybody in front of a vast crowd at that meeting : and that the meeting in England that Jeff Liesk mentioned will see the reunion of the works Honda "Dream Team".
I believe that Jeff Liesk's amazing effort at world level is too often overlooked or talked down in the traditional "aw jeez, she'll be right, no worries" ocker tradition, but the fact remains the guy is a star, and his efforts are all too often overlooked or ignored at both state and national level. To see that he's had a gallop at Tumbulgum and will be going for a squirt in England is great , but why should the alleged custodians of the sport's history let it rest there ? For my money, the vmxwa club and the pre-85mxwa club should join forces and get the Great Man out for a gallop from time to time for the reason he went racing in the first place : fun !  :D
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2010, 10:33:27 pm »
Leisk ran in the over 40's on a husaberg 450, and I think he'll probably do that again.  Jimmy Ellis is supposedly running in the pre85's so that would be something to see also Steve Mourtitz will probably be riding as well.  Would be nice to leisk and guys like graeme Smythe in the pre85, but that may well be in the future.  remembering the club has only just started.

Suprised you didn't get no 66, but then again i only found out after he turned up with thenumber 4 on his bike

As to VMXWA and Pre85MXWA, coming together, give it time.  i think you'll see the pre85 open to running events in conjunction with the VMX, but will have to see how they accept it.

In the mean time I'll be fighting with Rossco for the last place guernsey and loving it!!lol
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2010, 03:11:44 pm »
well I believe a figure of 25 Pre 85 bikes taking part in the support class at the 15000.. Well done boys, it will be a pleasure to finish last
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2010, 08:54:51 pm »
the pre85 race report and photo's being uploaded now on http://pre85mxwa.com/
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2010, 09:27:48 am »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5w0_B69gsa8

Jon Lloyd hadn't ridden for 26yrs, Paul Copley lent him a bike.  Couldn't wipe the smile off his face.  Though worried about his youtube name "bigjon"!!!!!!
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 03:21:30 pm »
Alot of interest this year with a second class being opened for the over 40's  :P
cheers A
Best is in the West !!

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 03:24:10 pm »
Is that just the promoter trying to get more entries ( money)?.... Don't they already cater for Vets..??

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 09:15:37 am »
Is that just the promoter trying to get more entries ( money)?.... Don't they already cater for Vets..??
Yes they have Vets and 40 more !!
MWA/MA are doing ok in the cash department out of this event also.  :P along with all those bike shops,food outlets,fuel stations etc etc
Why do people knock these big events that keep our kids off the streets,entertained and out in some fresh air.
Knockers complain that the big events like SX isnt coming back to oZ and when we have something like this in the south west of WA,there still not happy.  :(
You can't take it with you Watto  ;D

transmoto mag
 So far Jamie Law and Bryan McKenzie from the UK, along with 21 year old Bryce Vallee from the US, are confirmed as competing in this year's event. We are still in negotiation with other national and international competitors, and updates will be announced as these are confirmed." Thomson told me recently.add Mossy to this..

The Manjimup 15,000 Motocross meeting is known throughout the world, by riders and fans alike and riders of all grades jump at the chance to ride at the annual event which is now promoted by "Dirt High Promotions" and the event has been going from strength to strength of the past three or four years.

Best is in the West !!

Offline Tossa

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 09:26:46 am »
With no pre85 class this year, promoter wanted a gaurentee of a full grid.  but we were unable to confirm that.  A Few Pre85 bikes will be competing in the over 40's.  Will be good to see the big two strokes with some handy riders on challenging the moderns.  Pity though no Pre85, as there was great interest shown by the number of people who visited our pits during the meeting
1979 Husqvarna WR250
1974 Husqvarna MAG CR250