Author Topic: DOT on tyre sidewall, is it road legal in Australia ?  (Read 11620 times)

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
DOT on tyre sidewall, is it road legal in Australia ?
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:38 pm »
I have a Metzeler MC5 front tyre which has DOT branded on the sidewall, does this mean it conforms to NSW rego requirements. Planning on getting an IT 175 regoed, would save having to buy another tyre.   

Offline Canam370

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: DOT on tyre sidewall, is it road legal in Australia ?
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 06:17:22 pm »
If its marked DOT it will be OK. You'll find most of the Metzler front knobbies are DOT approved but only a few of the rears comply. Go figure. :-\
WANTED. Canams;all models,complete or parts.SWM stuff too!

I'm THE Thread Killer - when I post a thread dies!

mx250

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 06:35:24 pm »
DOT stands for Dept of Transport which refers to the USA Federal DOT and is not an Australian requirement or reg.  Ditto 'Not For Highway Use' on a tyre. Neither are of any legal or regulatory significance in Oz.

In NSW, and I think all of Oz, the only rego requirement is tread (1.5mm minimum) and of sound construction (no visible damage (normally meaning you can't see the 'carcass'  or construction cords of the tyre)).

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 08:04:20 pm »
DOT stands for Dept of Transport which refers to the USA Federal DOT and is not an Australian requirement or reg.  Ditto 'Not For Highway Use' on a tyre. Neither are of any legal or regulatory significance in Oz.

In NSW, and I think all of Oz, the only rego requirement is tread (1.5mm minimum) and of sound construction (no visible damage (normally meaning you can't see the 'carcass'  or construction cords of the tyre)).

Nope. Wrong on most counts, even.
Tyres used on the road need to be approved for on road use - and marked as such.
Australia has its own standards, but will also accept certain overseas standards - including the DOT standard. The grey import cars coming out of Japan almost always need their tyres changed before they can be rego'd here - either the Japanese standard isn't recognised, or there simply isn't one in Japan.

Further, tyres marked "off highway use only" or "NHS" will be defected by a suitably motivated copper, no matter how much tread depth they have. And rego will knock them back, in both NSW and ACT.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:00:19 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2011, 08:24:13 pm »
Hmmm, seems a bit of a grey area. Can only give it a go with the blue slip guy, and mention the DOT branding if questioned. Might give the RTA a call see what they have to say. Thanks for the info tho' 

Offline b490

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 08:51:01 pm »
IT 175 should pass ok with tyres you mention if the tyres are  in good condition.

Your IT 175 is built pre 1989 so  only has to meet second edition ADR requirements .

No application of ADR 24 (tyre selection) for motorcyles under second edition ADR's

Regards ,
               Steve

« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 09:16:28 pm by b490 »

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »
The " Not for highway use " on the sidewall will get you a ticket.
Been there , done that. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2011, 04:23:14 pm »
Talked to a bike shop owner about this and damn if I can remember the conversation.  But he argued with Main roads and was getting 'Not for highway use' tyres through rego. It was the 'Off road use only' that wouldn't pass.  This was for QLD.  I think it was something along the lines of 'Not for highway use' wasn't speed rated for high speed was was okay for street' I can't quite remember but he was doing roadworthy's with those tyres on.

But it's going to come down to the roadworthy bloke and how up to date and savvy he is.  Once you could scrape the 'Not for highway use ' off but that then changed to having to have the right standards stamp on it.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2011, 05:34:39 pm »
Have got a new Pirelli MT21 with " for US only " on it.
Has DOT on it as well.
Made in Brazil.
I have a mate who will roadworthy knobbies but only for people he knows.
I require rego for riding in local forestrys here in QLD but the bike will never go near bitumen.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2011, 05:50:31 pm »
i would pass dot tyres,will not pass off road use only tho

RMJJ

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2011, 06:47:44 pm »
pass or no pass, surely the point is that they won't grip like proper road nobblies like enduro tyres and you are risking ending up under a truck or up the backside of a car

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2011, 07:08:10 pm »
Not intending to spend a lot of time on road, maybe a short trip out to Menai now and then and occassional state forest ride where having rego kinda sorta makes it legal. 

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 03:22:17 pm »
 The NSW RTA told me to pass nobblies for road use as long as they are not marked 'Not for road use.'
 cheers pancho
dont follow me i'm probably off line!