Author Topic: Registering Non ADR approved bikes, anyone done it?  (Read 3514 times)

Bioflex

Registering Non ADR approved bikes, anyone done it?
« on: May 01, 2011, 10:39:33 pm »
Ok, this isn't a VMX question but knowing a lot of guys here are knowledgable about all things bikes, thought it be the best place to ask.

With current pricing in the U.S being at an absolute rock bottom on last years model machines, can't help wondering how difficult it is to register a bike that is road legal in the U.S, has all the ADR gear on it, (the equivalent models in Aus are ADR approved) but isn't actually ADR approved?

I know it is a long shot, but considering you could get a brand spankers $14,000 bike landed and cleared for under $8000, it would be crazy not to enquire. I figure if it was easy then everyone would do it, but anyways...

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Registering Non ADR approved bikes, anyone done it?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 08:28:13 am »
You wont get it past customs. The import laws are in place to stop everyone doing this and destroying the new vehicle market.
 You would have to bring it in in parts.  If you lived in the U.S. for more than 18 months you can bring it back as a personal import and get it registered.  I looked into doing this when I wanted to buy a used Confederate. $75,000 new, $18,000 used.  Only way I could get it registered was to apply for a custom built vehicle application and get engineers reports for the build up and pass it off as a custom Harley that I had built.
There are special vehicle exemptions but it would only be for bikes that aren't sold here and they have to be on the RAWS list to be approved.
The interesting thing is trail bikes can be imported if you take the blinkers and numberplate holder off and promise not to put them back and put a sticker on it saying it doesn't comply with ADR laws.
You can look up the Dotars website for more information.  Also maybe give a call to someone who ADR's bikes. 

On ADR's, because a bike is street legal in another country and has all the ADR gear, doesn't make it legal here. We have different regulations, for example on a lot of U.S. bikes the blinkers are wired that you can have them all on as non flashing running lights. No go here.  We also have sidestand cut out switches etc.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 08:42:39 am »
For cars - and I assume bikes are the same - its gotta be at least one of the following:
A) Made before 1990;
B) A personal import that you've owned used overseas (as C&B described).
C) A model that the Aussie importer doesn't bring in.

For a bike, the economics don’t work.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Bioflex

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 07:54:44 pm »
Cheers for the responses.
I should have made it clear, yes it's a dirt bike so no problems in terms of getting it in.

From what you guys have said, the only option ( which would make sense economically) would be getting a compliance plate off a similar aus model, which I'm a bit too conservative to bother considering these days.

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:32:23 pm »
From what you guys have said, the only option ( which would make sense economically) would be getting a compliance plate off a similar aus model, which I'm a bit too conservative to bother considering these days.

There is a bit of that going on! Some very new looking "repaired" 06 model CRF450X's getting around ;)
Only really worth doing if you are going to keep the bike for life or you have no concience

P.S. You can get a new 2010 CRF450X landed in OZ for less than $6000......
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 09:01:56 pm »
Cheers for the responses.
I should have made it clear, yes it's a dirt bike so no problems in terms of getting it in.

Also be aware that (if you want to register a bike you import) you need all of the import paperwork and approvals sorted before the bike gets here - otherwise it has to leave the country and be re-imported.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

dpd

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:49 pm »
Just bring in anything pre 75 and ya dont need to ADR it.
Wack some club plates on it , cheap commuter, if ya dont
mind filling out a log book.  ;)

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 02:10:58 pm »
bikes must be pre89, i charge 150.00 to have correct compliance plate fitted.if it is after 89 ,there is a possibility to get it complied  but is is going to cost big time -not worth it for a traily.a harly is uptowards 3000 for compliance. get caught trying to pass an import off as an early model or putting a compliance plate off an australian bike is fraught with danger -loss of the bike,massive fines etc just not worth it!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 05:33:06 pm »
Once put a TS90 plate on a RM80 big wheel , picked a young girl at an out of the way Dept of Trans and got away with it. ;D
That was a while back now and I wouldn,t try that now.
Not that they are smarter but the computors can cause a problem.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Bioflex

« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2011, 08:58:48 pm »
I get worried enough that the cops will notice the B&M Shifter in my van is outta place.
If it was as easy as asking me to "pop the bonnet" I reckon they would have clearly noticed it wasn't a 4 cylinder any more.

Thanks again for the info guys, I would be looking at saving $6000 or so, but I'd never spend $8000 or otherwise on a pure dirt bike with no collectability, I'll likely give it a miss.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2011, 08:11:43 am »
I get worried enough that the cops will notice the B&M Shifter in my van is outta place.
If it was as easy as asking me to "pop the bonnet" I reckon they would have clearly noticed it wasn't a 4 cylinder any more.
Don,t give them too much credit Bio.
I,ve been pulled up and had a thorough checkup by the Dept Trans , they  missed the fact that the motor was a diesel when it said petrol on the reg. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.