Author Topic: solar power  (Read 2755 times)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
solar power
« on: April 20, 2011, 07:35:25 pm »
has anybody  know the ins and outs of solar electricity.What are the pros and cons.Any advice would be appreciated.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
Re: solar power
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2011, 07:43:12 pm »
We have a 1 kW unit on the roof and it's only good to hold the tiles down. If you can affford them, get them, but unless you get plenty (3kW or more) you are wasting time and money. 

montynut

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2011, 09:21:21 pm »
The only reason solar generation is viable for small consumers (houses and smaller businesses) are that the rest of the users are subsidising it. This cannot last as already the electrical generation industry is feeling the ill effects of the solar installation in that it forces base load generators to reduce output and operate at less efficient conditions than ideal causing higher green house gas generation than otherwise possible per generated unit of energy. The large generators cannot reduce their committed capacity because the solar input could disappear at any moment due to cloud and/or a multitude of other causes.

On purely a cost verses benefit situation there is no way to support a solar generation installation without the gross subsidy that the majority of electricity users presently contribute to prop up the extremely high price paid per KWH of solar generation. In NSW the payment was reduced from 60c/KWH to 30 or 40c but ‘normal’ system prices paid are only 12-24c/KWH from other sources. If the solar scheme was run by say ‘Woolworths’ then everyone would be saying it is ridiculous.

There are also serious questions about the life of the inverter systems (DC – AC) and synchronising systems as these are among the most complex of electronic devices.

The short answer is that if you can get on the subsidy gravy train then it is possibly OK but how long can it last.

Walter suggests that the whole thing leads to energy nirvana but this is only possible due to higher cost to other users. Sorry Walter but there is no free lunch. If everyone gets on the subsidy ride then who pays? We still need a fully operational genertion systems as Solar can not replace them, in case people had not noticed it is dark for almost half the day ::)
« Last Edit: April 20, 2011, 09:24:56 pm by montynut »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 07:19:36 am »
My House is stand alone solar power I worked out it's costs at $1200.00 per year. I like it but and it's a big but I can't use heavy machines like lathes mills etc or can I weld without running it of a generator.
I do have my own motorcross track as compensation thou. 
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 07:32:06 am »
i know nothing about it really just going on reports i heard on the news up here in brissy with the floods.supposed to be very dangerous in flood areas if your house does happen to go under the mains can be switched off but the panels can't be and still generate power which makes your house live.be carefull if you live in a flood zone.cheers gary.

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2011, 08:18:40 am »
360volts dc + a bunch of amps, before the inverter Gary.
Enough to wake you up.
My uncle is getting some installed but is not going to sign the contract.
So he does not get the 40cents a kw but his meter runs backwards.
The returns don,t look as attractive but are long term and are not connected to the whims of some halfwit polly. :)
This won,t work where you use less than you make. :'(
Uncle has a factory attached to his house.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline vmxrider

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2011, 09:40:57 am »
The cheapest 1.5KW system I've seen in Sydney are around $3K (after renewable energy credit which applies up to 1.5KW) plus $500 for a new meter. They generate 6KW/h based on 4hrs average sunlight per day. For that you get back $1.56 a day on the current 26c KW/h rebate. Thats $570 per year and would take 6 years for it to start paying for itself. For the cheaper systems the warranty on the inverter doesn't go much beyond that. Going bigger than a 1.5 KW system costs thousands more.
Probably better to be more vigilant on usage, wear a jumper inside in winter, get the kids to turn off lights, computers etc. Jaycar sells a electricity usage meter for around $20 http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=MS6115

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2011, 10:41:28 am »
If you don,t sign the contract then you don,t get a new meter fitted.
Old meters are not as accurate as new ones and miss reading the small stuff like plug packs and such.
The old meter then runs backwards when you are generating power thus reducing your bill.
I personally don,t think that solar is a reliable alternative.
Why?
Because over christmas we did not see the sun here for two weeks.
Must have been a worry for those with solar hot water.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

mx250

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2011, 12:44:36 pm »
So your getting a gas conversion for free and the gas is half the price of petrol. I cannot see a problem with that. Even if it does go up 15c a litre its still going to be cheeper than petrol

And you drop 10-15% in economy (you use and cost 10-15% more).

But what really get up my nosed is every bludger has got his hand out getting freebies from the effing govt. Sometime ago I was prudent and got LPG and insulated my home and I had to go 'full freight'. Now to 'buy votes' they give out freebies.

It's inefficient, wasteful and wrong. Don't tell me all the probs with the home insulation weren't obvious and predictable. And that effing inefficient f wit is still there in Parliament with blood on his hands and a big fat idiot funded Super hand out at the end of his term. Spare me :-[. And both sides are just as bad.

And don't tell me Carbon Trading or whatever they like to call it won't be the same. You can already see lobby groups circling and positioning themselves to get an advantage.

Offline GMC

• Legend
  • Broadford, Vic
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2011, 01:54:24 pm »
And you drop 10-15% in economy (you use and cost 10-15% more).

I think that’s a bit of a furphy from the old days, modern cars and modern gas systems are a completely different story.
Our VE commodore is every bit as efficient and powerful on gas as it is on petrol

But what really get up my nosed is every bludger has got his hand out getting freebies from the effing govt. Sometime ago I was prudent and got LPG and insulated my home and I had to go 'full freight'. Now to 'buy votes' they give out freebies.

I know what you mean, I had just fitted up both our cars with gas and about 3 months later the rebate deal came in.
But it’s not so much about people having their hands out, if the deal is offered you’d be stupid not to take it.

And don't tell me Carbon Trading or whatever they like to call it won't be the same. You can already see lobby groups circling and positioning themselves to get an advantage.

Carbon tax – biggest fleecing of the public since the millennium bug
G.M.C.  Bringing the past into the future

Shock horror, its here at last...
www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com

For the latest in GMC news...
http://www.geoffmorrisconcepts.com/8/news/

monaro308

« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2011, 03:55:45 pm »
Last year there was a story on a couple of pensioners that installed a very nice system to their houses @ approx $30,000.00 and reaped the rewards of getting credit on selling the excess power made from their system/grid.
That was until the goverment found out and as they were deemed to be "making money" ie an income...then that effected their pension payout rate per fortnight.
I don't know what happened after that story as the last i heard was that they were going to pull the plug...so to speak ;D and tell them to stick it! with trying to "save the planet"

Something to think about as like they say...you dont get something for nothing!

mx250

« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2011, 04:00:12 pm »
That's an interesting point - are you declaring your $30 a day on your tax Walter? ;D