Author Topic: Motorcycle shock coil spring compressor tool needed  (Read 8922 times)

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: Motorcycle shock coil spring compressor tool needed
« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2011, 01:29:27 PM »
Thanks to Freaky's sketch I have managed to get the springs off my ITC Ohlins without losing my sons fingers!  The compressor is a piece of piss to make, doesn't require any welding and works great. Thanks again Freaky  :) :) :) It really pays to google when you are stumped as you never know what you will find. It was cool to find this old OzVMX thread as a high hit which I never even  remembered seeing.

Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline FAT-TOY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2011, 08:29:24 PM »
  Purchased a set of spring compressors made for motorcycle springs off US ebay (220434151833) $27.  Comes in a metal case and they have plastic covers so they dont damage the powder coating on the springs and they dont pull of like the car type do.
Everyday I find one more name to add to the list of people who piss me off.

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 10, 2011, 11:53:13 PM »
Good news Pez.  Like ik said you kick yourself when you realise how easi it is to make one, and then when you use em , how easy the shock comes off ? its like hot knife and butter.

I had to pull as hock down at the property the other day and ended up putting a bolt in the end of two short bits of RHS and welded an clip on it, stuck it in the vise and boom shanka, same thing - all caqme apart in 2 seconds, and all of 3 mins to make it.  Cant believe how many times i had previously messed around with 2 screw driver and a prayer.

MAte its like kissing jesu :O) when you get your head around the dodgey easy speing compressor.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2011, 07:41:03 PM »
 I purchased an Ebay set the same as FAT-TOY's, after using screwdrivers and wife with collets for years.The other good thing is they fit in a box about the size of an impact screwdriver,easily taken to the track to adjust preload without having to remove the shocks from the bike.Best $27 she ever spent.