Author Topic: TM125 mudchatcher rim repair  (Read 1177 times)

trailietrash

TM125 mudchatcher rim repair
« on: April 08, 2011, 02:50:59 am »
I have a front rim with a sizeable break (almost half an inch), where the rim was welded together at the factory. Is it possible to repair the rim at a realistic price and then ride "flat out" on this bike or should I just (mortgage the house &) buy a new rim ???
I want to try to keep this 74 TM  in "period" condition and regularly rideable.

DR

Re: TM125 mudchatcher rim repair
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2011, 03:19:30 am »
okay Trailie I see you're up early so he's my answer which I feel certain others will disagree with but what the heck, there's no-one here to argue ATM  :D

YES, you can have it welded up and ride like the proverbial mad man though for the full strength effect the welded area won't/shouldn't look like concourse condition ;)

I am assuming it's a front?

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 02:57:30 pm »
Go for it and get it welded ( spokes in place ) just for your peace of mind.

Even with a crack it should still be fine, im sure the spokes will hold it together but might wander out of true.
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

DR

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 04:25:17 pm »
for the record I feel safer on a bike with a cracked rim than I do riding a bike with loose or missing spokes ;)

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 04:26:07 pm »
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

trailietrash

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 05:49:42 pm »
Thanks for all your replies and suggestions.

The front wheel with mudchatcher rim is still intact so I will get it welded as this bike (like all my bikes) doesn't have to be show quality but will be ridden.

for the record I feel safer on a bike with a cracked rim than I do riding a bike with loose or missing spokes ;)
Good enough for me Doc and I would rather spend a bit to repair a rim than fork out for a new one. I do know that "Superior" mudchatcher style rims were $300.00 to purchase about this time last year here in Aus. Will ask a mate who prepares and races sidecars and owns a fabrication shop who he would recommend for the job.

other than the crackling at the weld the rim is in very good shape for its age......