Author Topic: Harold Park  (Read 1649 times)

firko

Harold Park
« on: March 23, 2011, 07:15:11 pm »
A couple of weeks ago there was some secret behind the scenes manouvreing by the boys at Deux ex Machina to have a dirt track display day on the historic Harold Park trotting track which is earmarked for demolition to make room for a housing development. Sliderule and other Sydney dirt track identities had organised a number of flat trackers and sliders to cut some hot laps for the TV and print media but unfortunately at the last minute the event was canned due to the usual insurance snafus.

Despite the cancelation, the Deux guys managed to defy the fun Nazi's and cut a few low key laps on some of the Cafe/Bikeshops house bikes. Billy Forsyth was there and he managed to shoot some shots for an upcoming project.....Here's one of them.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:27:15 pm by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Harold Park
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 07:25:35 pm »
Way cool
Is everything in Sydney just a development opportunity?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »
slackwell is your girl from Sydney she seems to be devloping and healthy
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 07:44:59 pm by bazza »
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2011, 07:43:31 pm »
Harold Park trotting track which is earmarked for demolition to make room for a housing development.

How sad is that..you'd think in this day and age in planning and development they would and could incorporate it in the subdivision plans.. >:(
Beautiful Photos.
Best is in the West !!

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2011, 08:04:41 pm »
Councial and developers are not interested in  keeping past history specically motocycle racing, if they where Brooklyn speedway would be still standing and speedway would continue at the melbourne show ground. Its a shame that these people don`t think like we do, but if it was frustrating football  and their meat head footballers, it would be a different story

Curly3

« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2011, 08:45:42 pm »
Right from the start I thought the " Liability " question would come up but kept stum, hoping we could get in & out before the fun police arrived.
I knew they were still going to try to cut some laps and I'm glad they managed it for a while.
Steve Burdus went down and said that the dust & noise scared the locals and as a result the Police were called.
I've filled them in that if they involve an affiliated club they may be able to arrange a demo ride day, so it still may happen.
I had a couple of seriously good riders organised and it was looking promising for a while, my phone bill went up that month.
Thanks to everyone who helped me with contact numbers or who put there hand up to ride.
My first experience of organising or promoting an event didn't work out but I'd still try again.
Steve

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2011, 09:13:12 pm »
Hey slide, can you post it on here for us sydney people if there is any possibility of a demo. By the way gents i believe there is going to be a dirt track demo and sand drags demo at the HW61 MC Show in Bankstown on good friday.
Will confirm as we get closer to the event.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Curly3

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 09:29:56 pm »
I sure will Brett, I was asked to keep a low profile last time and organise around 6 - 8 riders who could put on a decent show, Tshirts all round and a corperate video were being talked about, but as I said I was a bit sceptical on our chances.
Bankstown sounds like a good idea as I'll be working at home over Easter and it would be a welcome distraction.
I think they did it last year? there are some photo's on the Nepean Photography website.

firko

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 04:25:52 pm »
Here's another shot from the secret final day at Harold Park taken from this http://www.flickr.com/photos/deuscustoms/sets/72157626338458152/with/5554794389/

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2011, 05:35:15 pm »
    What a  Fuggin' waste !   priorities all WRONG !!! ( bit like golf course's)  ???

Offline chrisdespo

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2011, 08:12:26 am »
Shame that bit like the old Mentone race track it was good for a slide and the old brenock park track at Ferntree Gully was also good for a slide session.
When in DOUBT GAS IT!!!