Author Topic: plastic welding  (Read 1958 times)

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
plastic welding
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:52:26 pm »
Could anyone tell me,what sort of plastic montesa side covers are made out of.I have a couple that need welding.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: plastic welding
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 01:57:42 pm »
if you are unable to id the plastic take a slither along an edge & use that as filler. beter still of you have a destroyed cover that wont be used.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 02:19:43 pm »
After much experimentation.I found plastic ,"line trimmer",works just fine.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline ba-02-xr

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:50:25 pm »
Be sure to test it well. I don't think any old maufactura let alone Monty used any poly based plastic. I may be wrong.

Offline ji107

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2011, 09:24:14 pm »
The plastic that whipper snippers use is usually nylon.
It would be unusual for side covers to be made from nylon, I would suggest that it may be Poly Ethalyne or Poly Propaline.
However, if what you are using works, keep on using it.
Make sure to test it when its cold as sometimes when its hot/warm it will seem OK but when its cold can pull apart

J I

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2011, 09:35:24 am »
Ah yes you are right.After a bit of pulling it came off.Back to the drawing board.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2011, 09:44:13 am »
Amare of mine that does alot of plastic repairs told me you have to use the same plastic....do what ba-02-xr says.....I'm sure someone on here could donate a piece off a shitty cover.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline paco

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 09:47:14 am »
Thanks davey,I'm enjoying myself experimenting,and fellows thank you all for the input.paul.
what ! Who me ? Nah

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 10:07:23 am »
If you Google it you'll find a list of plastics, if you burn them they will all burn different colour flames and that's how you identify them.

Makita make a heat gun with plastic welding attachments and adjustable heat control for about $200 which is the cheapest way of getting into plastic welding, unless you buy a Chinese ebay plastic welder that may give up the ghost.  Plus the Makita is more versatile as a general heat gun as well.  You can also use a soldering iron if you want to cheap out, works well for small repairs.

I recently bought some 6mm plastic propylene and made a bash plate for my modern.Turned out good.

I recently tried to repair some small screw brackets on an arm rest for my Cadillac but it was too fiddly and too hard to control the heat gun in a small area and ended up just warping the arm rest.  A soldering iron would of been better.  I resorted to siliconing it back on in the end.  Any one got an arm rest for a Fleetwood?