Author Topic: What's that film  (Read 2560 times)

maicoman

What's that film
« on: March 01, 2011, 09:58:45 pm »
Just racking my brain trying to remember a dirtbike movie made in the late 60's or early 70's.
It was a British made movie, I think it was called "Scrambling" but I just can't remember. The premace of the story is there is a young boy that scrambles on a Husqvarna and parks it in the pits after his race. A boy is walking past the bike and tries to start or steel it and he crashes.
  The owner helps the boy buy an old Husky and they rebuild it and he races. There are some parts of sabotage and general muckracking in the film and then the kids gets kidnapped by some bank robbers towards the end.
  I think the family in the movie drove a Humber or Rover car which made sense for the movie to be late 60's. I would love to watch this film again if anyone knows what it is.
Cheers Brooksie.

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
Re: What's that film
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2011, 01:19:34 am »
The kid gets kidnapped and shipped to Australia via Sweden, Has a name change along the way to throw off any chaasers. I think it was called "The Hans Applgren Story"  :D :D :D

Only Kidding, Sorry Hans.

Kevin
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline Nobby25

• B-Grade
  • Could possibly fit other models?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2011, 11:02:27 am »
Hey Brooksie Try http://www.vintagemx.us/movies.htm there is a big list of movies that had bikes in them, there is one called scramble. I was trying to remember a movie from the early seventies also which turned out to be Hells Angels 69 that had a lot of "scrambling" in it. cheers Nob
TM125L RM250N TC125L RL250M PE175T RM80C RMX250T ATC70 YZ80B?

maicoman

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2011, 02:33:13 pm »
Cheers Nobby, that's an awesome site and yes found the movie. It's called "Scramble" and was made in 1970. I also saw listed one of my favourite other bike movies Silver Dream racer featuring David Essex.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Jesus only loves two strokes

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 10:19:38 am »
So uh I guess that was David Essex atop the machine?  But.....that's not how I remember him at all....  Surely he's actually one of the guys standing next to the bike - please......?

firko

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 11:37:14 am »
Nope Twisty, that's acclaimed vocalist/thespian David Essex aboard the SDR. Even his giant talents couldn't save this lemon of a movie.  Silver Dream Racer is the road racing equivalent of the equally odious motocross movie "Sidewinder one". Another stinker was Little Fauss and Big Halsy which the talents of Robert Redford couldn't even save from sinking. Thank buggery that Worlds Fastest Indian eventually came along to prove that a great motorcycle could be made. ;)

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 01:21:38 pm »

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2011, 01:23:13 pm »
WITH a TOP HAT AND A MIGHTY dt1 CAN THE STORY BE WRITTEN ANY BETTER ????
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline TeeBone

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2011, 04:04:37 am »
Another dirtbikin movie out of the 70's is Race with the Devil. Peter Fonda, Warren Oates and Loretta Swit (Hotlips) star in this not too bad movie. Worth tracking down if for nothing more than the early KX footage.
Destined to a life behind bars. A garage full of KTM's and a 73 CR 250M Honda....H7 250 Monty will be at Harrow!
A "never was" of the Nineties...

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2011, 05:57:20 pm »
 I saw a movie called "The pace that thrills" 'round about 1950.
 It stared Bill Williams [a "B" grade movie favourite of the times].
Being about 12 yrs old at the time I thought it was good fun, even though my pre teen brain recognised some stupidity in it.
 For a change it wasn't about nasty louts but about blokes having fun on dirt tracks and the road. Wouldn't mind seeing it again for fun [& squirming over some of the sequences.]
 cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!