Author Topic: Honda CR125M fork seal replacement question  (Read 1524 times)

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
Honda CR125M fork seal replacement question
« on: March 26, 2011, 04:54:52 pm »
Hi,

I pulled the fork seals our of my 75 CR125M today. There was a steel ring running naround the centre of the fork slider, which I damaged. I presumed it was part of the original seal as there was rubber below it & the new ones are deeper. I removed the steel ring but now have sharp edges on the inner of the fork slider.

Was I correct or have I stuffed the fork slider? If not, how do I get rid of the sharp edges inside the lower slider?

thanks
AJ

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
Re: Honda CR125M fork seal replacement question
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2011, 06:05:37 pm »
AJ
Have you scratched the alloy bore of the lower fork leg. or have you scratched the bronze bushing which fits over the the bottom inner chrome fork leg?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline AJ

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2011, 06:24:35 pm »
Brett,

Not the chrome slider but the alloy fork bottom. I havent scratched it but it had a metal ring which I have removed & it has left sharp edges inside the fork bottom. If I put the new fork seal in it would cut into the outer edge of the fork seal. I don't know whether the ring was part of the original seal or part of the lower fork.

regards,
AJ

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2011, 07:53:59 pm »
AJ, i had a remedy for scratched bore on the lower leg, but i am really not that familiar with that model re the ring ...
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2011, 08:38:21 pm »
AJ,wouldn't it be the circlip that held the original seal in,your new seals thicker,suppose it does away with circlip??,if the sharp edges are in the circlip goove,just carefully ease them with either small "wiffle" file ,or emery paper,till no longer sharp,carefull there as too much out/off, your seals mighten hold,check depth of new seal,it might not let you put the forkseal dust cover back on??,hth, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:53:10 pm »
you can get double lip seals that fit crm
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina