Author Topic: Best place to buy Maico parts  (Read 7295 times)

250 Magnum

Best place to buy Maico parts
« on: January 24, 2011, 10:00:56 pm »
Where is the best place to buy Maico parts from? I am just starting to restore a 78 250 Maico and need spockets, gaskets and piston rings etc. Is it cheaper to buy them here in Australia or have them sent out from the US?

I will also need the frame, tank and forks painted and the seat recovered, any sugestions as to where would be the best place in NSW to get this done?

Thanks
Danny

firko

Re: Best place to buy Maico parts
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2011, 10:09:56 pm »
Danny ring Les Richters at Mainly Maico on (02) 4981 7241. Les is a good bloke and knows Maicos inside and out.

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 03:09:46 pm »
firko is right les is the go,have a bit of gear from him and with 6 maicos on the way will need more

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 02:22:03 pm »
Danny,

I sent you a PM and some contact details as I am in the same boat

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

colmoody

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 08:35:04 pm »
Yeah Danny I reckon Shoreline and Firko are on the money re Les at Mainly Maico. I think a lot of guys bypass Les and go straight to America thinking they will get whatever it is they are chasing cheaper their. That may or may not be the case but I'd give Les a try for sure.

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 09:27:02 pm »
Highly recommend Les, I have bought 2 Maicos off him and all the parts just remember Les has bought all his parts and put them into stock so he hasn't always been able to buy when the Ozie dollar was high but he always trys to do the right thing and he is one of VMX's good guys. Its short sighted to drive a local supplier out of business because as sure as the dollar is up we are all old enough to realize it can go the other way quickly.

250 Magnum

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2011, 12:32:28 am »
Thanks for the help guys, sounds like Les is "The Man" I'll give him a call.

I've replied to your PM Pete, thanks also.

I'll be back with more questions soon.
Danny

maicoman

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2011, 12:49:45 pm »
Try Keith Stacker down in Victoria, I've bought alot off him over the years. He also modified a 93WR500 Yamaha fat boy pipe to suit my 84 SC500.Seems to always have what I need.

Offline Mick D

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2011, 02:21:48 pm »
We have Don Newel in south east Qld. (nice Bloke).
Stackers in Melbourne, who I have never dealt with (but when talking Maico History in Australia, I bow to Keith Stacker, because my ma and da taught me respect).

Like some, I first started looking on Ebay for no other reason than to find rare unavailable Maico parts. That will take you to where about half of the Maicos manufactured from 71 to 82 ended up, USA. Over recent years it has been very advantagegess to “bulk” purchase consumables from the US and share the shipping savings with friends, but it often becomes a pain in the neck, time is money and I am sick of giving away both(unless I luv ya).

Last year while building a Maico engine, I went to Les at Mainly Maico, for a transmission gear of which is no longer available new. Les had a second hand one(for a very good price). Then another engine, same problem. Les had a perfect Second hand for me the following week.

Some of us are too busy to correspond with overseas and wait. It can be very time consuming and a false economy hoping to save a buck, sometimes.

Saying that though, I always compare and buy on price. Les’s prices on consumables have recently become VERY competitive, and for that reason and the convenience of his new expanding on line store, he will now get most of my Maico buget.

EXAMPLE OF LES'S NEW COMPETIVE PRICING

Les is passionate about Maicos.
Les is easy to deal with, friendly, and talks the talk.
Les’s daily routine is to meet the postage and shipping deadline for each day.
Les will back up warranty and service.
Les has had a lot of previous business experience prior to Mainly Maico and is very efficient.
It you are desperate for a race meeting, Les will go the extra yard and bend over backwards to help, if he can.

As I was recently reminded, Life is short. Some times it is a lot easier to just go to work, on the way home pick your groceries up from the supermarket and all of your Maico needs from the same sort of place.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2011, 03:33:17 pm by MICK-DE »
"light weight, and it works great"  :)

firko

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2011, 06:01:10 pm »
As much as I seem to buy most of my bikes and parts from the USA.....most of the Maico parts I buy come from Les. I'm about to undertake a rebuild my old squarie 350 engine in time for CD8 and the DT Nats. I also need to get PD valves fitted to a set of Cerianis for the Hindall so I'll take a drive up to Medowie buy the bits directly from Leslie and leave the forks with him. Les is is a really nice bloke and knows his Maicos inside and out, what more could you want ? 

Offline Husabergpete

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2011, 09:43:35 pm »
Les just sent me Maico, Yamaha, KTM and Husky parts. Good prices, super easy to deal with and fast.

Will be doing more there soon

Pete
KTM 250 1980,  Maico 250 AW 1977, Husqvarna CR 430 1981, , CZ 250 1973 and a 550 Husaberg

Offline KTMaico

• A-Grade
  • "Love or Lust it's always a Maico"
    • View Profile
    • Maico Lovers & Fans
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2011, 06:44:17 pm »
I can only add to Les's good reputation, my dealings with Les has not made him a fortune but it has made him a friend. For God's sake he is a Maico Man!!!
1981 Maico 490 (Special Build)
1979 Husqvarna CR250
1975 Suzuki RH250
1975 Suzuki RM125 S
1959 Mk1 Jaguar 3.4 4 speed manual with O/Drive

Offline odd1

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2011, 06:59:30 pm »
Check out Les's new web site vmx unlimited he has combined his three businesses to create this one has plenty of Maico stock and is competatively priced