Author Topic: Seal carrier mod  (Read 2237 times)

Captain Bilko

Seal carrier mod
« on: January 20, 2011, 07:32:21 am »
After years of putting up with crank seals that aren't crank seals (it's been a long time since you could get the originals) and having them fail usually before the end of a season, Montynut and myself scoured the land looking for a suitable (crank) seal to be retro fitted. Nothing was found to the right specs so it was decided that a Honda seal with the same crank diameter could be used with a collar made up, effectively reducing the size of the seal carriers.

So whilst someone was off sleeping with the enemy and having a story done on their bike for 'the magazine' it was left up to me to design, test and produce these reducers.

They work a treat. I've also had a recess put into the back of them so as they can be removed with a collet puller thingy (I've had to do this a number of times untill they were right) and now everything appears to be hunky-dorry.

Simply press the reducer into the Monty seal carrier with a bit of three-bond around it and then the seal into the reducer again with some 3-bond.

I'll do some exhaustive testing over the following weeks whilst M/nut soaks up his new found celebrity status.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2011, 07:34:32 am by 66M »

mx250

Re: Seal carrier mod
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2011, 08:28:43 am »

Too easy ;D.

Will these become generally available or will I need a Swiss bank account, or a secret handshake or such. ;D 

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2011, 09:59:19 am »
a great idea… well done!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

SPANISH ARMADA

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2011, 01:08:14 pm »
good work boys hope this lifts u to the celebrity status u deserve  ::)

montynut

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 01:11:46 pm »
Jeeeezzzzzus Christ Ross it looks like you removed that seal carrier with a cold chisel and 5lber  :o. For Gods sake undo the retaining screws next time sheeze  ::).

I thought that was the plan I was the ideas guy and you wore the blue and white striped apron

Let me know how the testing goes  ;D just as well Honda and Montesa are family hey  ;)

Captain Bilko

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 01:12:16 pm »
I'm afraid to say I'll look forward to a life in the trenches whilst M/nut gets the girls and glory.  :'(

Plans are underway to produce a few sets of these to sell at about 100 bucks a set.  ;)

montynut

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 01:49:05 pm »
While you where busy beavering away wearing your grimmy old grey dust coat (think 30's eccentric British Austin mechanic) in your dimly lit and old unpainted wooden shed right at the back of the garden (picture a dry Spanish homestead in an isolated mountainous area) perfecting said seal carriers. I meantime have been living the good life and taking out the patent ;D ;)

Between photo shots of coarse  8)

Offline David Lahey

• Legend
  • Gladstone, Queensland Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 09:09:29 pm »
I'm pretty sure my Cota 348 has Yamaha TY175 crank seals that fitted perfectly into the carriers with no modifications necessary. I'll have a look in my records tonight and check
previous pseudonym feetupfun

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 02:04:47 am »
The seal carrier mode that Ross has done is for the post 1976 mx and later
enduro models that use the 30 x 50 main seal.  Pre 76' (360VA) and most
any year trials models (including the Cota 348) use the 25 x 40 crankseal. 

Offline k2000x

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2011, 08:23:49 am »
try www.sealingmotion.com.au they sell seals 30 x 50 x 11

Offline cappra

• Legend
  • Glendale, Arizona
    • View Profile
    • Southwest Montesa
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2011, 01:14:47 pm »
It's not a problem getting a 30 x 50 x 10 seal.  It's a problem finding the correct dual lip seal.
The oem Montesa seal was a dual lip seal with spring pressure on both seal lips.  Most seals use
one spring loaded seal lip with an outer wiper lip.