Author Topic: XT600 Ignition  (Read 4042 times)

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
XT600 Ignition
« on: February 26, 2011, 05:55:06 am »
I have a problem with my 1983 Yamaha XT600 Tenere, which I believe is the ignition pulse/ pick-up coil breaking down. Basically after about 10km, once the engine has got good and hot, it starts to miss and carry on then stops. I am going to contact Betta Bike and Small coil Rewinds to see if they can provide a replacement pick-up coil unit, but I was wondering if anyone knows of any other possible sources where I might be able to get a replacement pick-up?

Thanks, CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
Re: XT600 Ignition
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2011, 01:08:23 pm »
Yes common problem with those pulser coils. Betta Bikes will know the problem. they will either have  a good secondhand one, a rewound one or a brand new aftermarket one. But if you want to try and find one yourself then try http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/ whos australian importer is http://www.motorcycle-parts.com.au/

And also search on ebay and for websites called 'Ricky Stator' 'RM stator' 'Electrosport' to name a few. There are several companies in the US who sell replacement pulsar coils. You may not see one listed exactly for XT but you will find a universal type that has the same hole spacing and ohms rating. I have got that data on Electrex i know that. My first port of call would be Betta Bikes though, they will be very familiar with that coil.

The good thing is i have never heard of the 600 CDI's packing up, they seem real good, its just the pulsar coils that go. Aftermarket replacement 600 CDI's are also available made in NZ too if you need.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2011, 03:33:00 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2011, 01:53:03 pm »
was mechaniking at yamaha dealer early 80's ,had a few issues with XT600 black boxes,same symtoms,let it cool down,(walk away),off it would go again,then die,factory changed the angle/dangle of harness wires out of box from away from the corner edge,recall enquiring yamaha service desk said no problems interstate,so might have been just a local eastcoast batch that fuggedup in manufacturing process,replaced black boxes,bingo,all good,also it went to maxadvance too,done a few k/start pinions in too,ouch!! don't want to confuse the issue but  :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline Viper666

• Legend
  • "Yes I bought THAT number plate" so sue me!
    • View Profile
    • Ballarat Rovers MCC
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2011, 11:56:54 am »

To test;

Get the bike when cold, make sure starts & runs Ok but dont warm up. Isolate CDI box away from bike & heat with a hair drier, (Or a heat gun but only on low) & when nice and WARM put back to whenst it came, start again & go for a ride. Rest of bike should still be cold so if breaking down happens sooner than before it could be your problem. If not, & you want to try first if you think it's pulser/charge related, heat up the flywheel area, it should be able to get WARM/HOT as per normal & repeat ride. Dont forget though, high tension coils (Spark plug coil) can & do break down when hot.

Viper666
Thank the Lord for Melbourne Bitter, anti-inflamatory drugs & an understanding wife.
YZ80H, YZ100G, YZ125E, YZ125F, YZ125G, YZ250D, YZ250E, YZ250F, YZ250G, YZ250H, YZ400F, IT125G, IT250K & a, a, a,      CRF250X???????    

How the FUG did that sh*tbox Honda get in here?