Author Topic: Age classes  (Read 2323 times)

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
Age classes
« on: April 21, 2011, 12:33:57 pm »
Question from a race sec or above level that know for FACT, can people ride down age groups ??

as in at a national level can people ride down there age groups to participate in younger classes ?   I see the point from both sides. 

For example :  if the bloke is 61yrs can he also ride down a class in with the the 50+ or 40+ events as well so they can get more rides ?

logical they comply, but is there a runling that says you can only nominate one age group ? or if its not covered in the MOMS or the Supp regs they can  ride under 30 if they want to roll the dice   ;D

trust me i keep getting asked this questoin..................
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline shorelinemc

• Legend
  • life sucks&then you die
    • View Profile
Re: Age classes
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 03:30:47 pm »
to my thinking at a national event the age group for example is 50-60 that is it,to meet class eligibility you must meet the age.

Offline Brian Watson

• Legend
  • First Penton in OZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 03:50:53 pm »
I'm with shoreline....the age groupings are:

18.2.3 Age Groups
18.2.3.1 Age is determined as at the date of the meeting or 1st round for series events.
18.2.3.2 Age grouping applies to competition Pre-1975 only
18.2.3.3 Age groups are:
a) Under 30,
b) 30 – 39,
c) 40 – 49,
d) 50 – 59,
e) 60 plus, – 69,
f) 70 plus (ref 18.2.3.5)
g) Juniors, aged 13 to under 16 years.

So if you are 52 like me.....it is a no-brainer where you must ride.....

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 03:57:55 pm »
thats what i was thinking but i have been asked can a 70 plus ride in the 60 plus ?  to my way of thinking NO cause its a age cut off, and if there isnt 10 riders in either, its a combined class anyway ,so its still leave only one ride, you dont get 2 seperate events to be in ?

Im just trying to get my head around a suitable answer and how to phrase it, or would you like to do it for me SS.
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 04:04:19 pm »
NExt part of that question is also the distinction of CC in age groups ? i see some do a 125 and group in 10 riders, but not an allpowers age ? so whats the go there, do you run any CC class you can find that has ten for it and call it a chamionship class or do you make it an All power and have 30 riders ?  can you chop and change what you like there ? as the rules just say its an age grouping there is no rule that says what the CC breakdown has to be ?

So for example if you have 12 guys on 125cc 40-50 and 10 guys 40-50 on 250cc's can you run them as 2 seperate age group FULL championship classes as they both meet the criteria of the original supp REg Age grouping divisions. 

OR is the MA championship thing locked into only 1 event for each age group span.  ? 

Riddle me that batman....
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline maicoman18

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 10:24:44 am »

"18.2.3.2 Age grouping applies to competition Pre-1975 only"

If age grouping only applies for pre-75, I would guess that the organizers of the event can do what ever they like for the other year based classes.

Ed

Offline supersenior 50

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 11:19:18 am »
I guess there are three issues here:-
Can You ride down an age group? As per the rules, a rider cannot elect to ride in a younger group, however it seems when the younger age group has insufficient enties to qualify as a championship, the oganiser can combine two or more age groups to make up the numbers. For example, at Griffith I entered Pre75 125 Over 60 but ended up being cannon fodder in an "Over 40 125 class" No chance against riders 30 yrs younger,but it's a ride and makes up the numbers.
In the instance where you have say 10 riders in 40-49 & 10 in 50-59, with a 40 rider gate, the answer is run them together [both qualify as a championship] pointed separately.
There is an issue with the new 60-69, and 70+ classes. Over the past two MX & three DT Nats there have been Supersenior awards.Not a separate race, but a recognition of the "over 70s" continued participation.They rode in the Over 60 classes plus whatever else their bikes qualified for. For 2011 MA decided to recognise the over 70s in the rulebook.The thought is greatly appreciated, but it has backfired in that it is now 60-69 and a separate 70+.I know the proposer didnt intend this ,so it is an admin error. The ramification is that there are insufficient riders over 70 at any one meeting to justify a race [and a separate race was never the intention], yet we are ineligable for 60-69. Our only option therefore is in open classes. For the DT Nats we have the 60+ classes plus 70+ awards. Hopefully this will apply at Chrystal Brook.

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 11:27:31 am »
freaky, all these questions go straight to your level 4 race sect, you can not anwser them sorry , as MA will define class's to race and which ones are Championship and which are combined after entries close.

take it from me, at the end of the day, passing it straight on to the appointed official (who gets paid by MA) is the best way forward.

this is intended as a positive thread, so please take it that way.

Cheers Trev

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2011, 06:41:14 pm »
At this point im the level 4........ i just want to get it right not by MA views as much, but as what the riders prefer and whats the spirit intended so we all get lotsa rides and are fair about it.
moderns are easy 'there's the class *%&$# you "- with the old bangers there are heaps more rides/ options. 

Its a matrix of oppertunity but also a matrix of potential combining disarsters. 

Its a long way to come if some one only has one bike and one ride, i feel sorry for those that do, so i want to make sure they get a fair suck of the Sav...... not some clown combines a buch of stuff on the day and they get like 3 x 3 lap races for th ewhole weekend.
hence why the evo we have pushed out to 5 longer circuits, poor buggers on 2 bike thats all they get :( and its not our fault we have 28 other events infront of them......

its a work in progress, but i got my answer.  cheers fellas for the imput.
:O)

P.s where the paid bit ? no one mentioned that part..... or you saying out of pocket expenses ?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 06:46:39 pm by Freakshow »
74 Yamaha  flattracker's

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2011, 07:00:55 pm »
"18.2.3.2 Age grouping applies to competition Pre-1975 only"
If age grouping only applies for pre-75, I would guess that the organizers of the event can do what ever they like for the other year based classes.
Ed
agree- thats whats in the supp regs

can people ride down age groups ??
no... you can't play in under 12's Hockey if your 16 yrs old. KIS

as MA will define class's to race and which ones are Championship and which are combined after entries close.

be buggered its not MA. Its up to the SCB and the Club (sup regs) who are hosting the Classic Nationals..let us have some say  ;D  ;)
this is not personal worms  :-*
cheers A

Best is in the West !!

Offline worms

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2011, 07:03:50 pm »
I agree whole heartedly vmx247, it's just MA dosn't.

no love lost here ;)