Author Topic: Sunday april 13 1980 Calder Park,Where you there?  (Read 628 times)

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Sunday april 13 1980 Calder Park,Where you there?
« on: February 28, 2011, 09:37:25 pm »
In my travels I picked up a book called the cycle jumpers,as the title suggests it,s about Evel Knievel & his cronies published in 1973, I'm not really into ol Evel in particular or any of the distance jumpers or fmx,I just like buying & reading old books & mags on anything vaguely connected to dirt bikes,This book chronicles all Mr boweevels exploits up to that point & goes on to feature a possible heir to his throne,Montesa rider, 15 yr old Garry Wells & how he was snapping at Evels heels,travelling around the U.S. doing shows,supposedly outjumping the master, but the old prick wouldn'nt have a bar of it saying they were measuring the landing point wrong & other excuses & he was still No 1 no matter what was said. I had never heard of this Garry Wells before & my curiosity got the better of me,so I googled him & sure enough there  he was,he's still around & got his own website,it says Garry is available to appear at your event,although he is now 53 by my calculations,I wonder does he still do jumps or just talk about the glory days :P, Anyhoo, further research turned up that Garry came to Calder park in 1980 & had a jump off with an Aussie guy,It was supposed to be with Dale Buggins but the negotiations with the promoter fell through,So I just want to know, were you there or do you remember,I was 14 at the time living in country vic & into bikes but buggered if i can remember it :)