Author Topic: Rickman Maico.  (Read 4930 times)

Offline dfisher

• Novice
    • View Profile
Rickman Maico.
« on: February 02, 2011, 08:27:55 am »
Mark,
Thought you might enjoy these.

Penton Owners Group - Membership
Facebook Cheney Twinshock Racing Group Administrator

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
Re: Rickman Maico.
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2011, 09:31:15 am »
Nice it's that a 68 engine?
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

TM BILL

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2011, 09:40:32 am »
Very nice  :) that would qualify for pre 70 ? i imagine it would be very competitive  :)

firko

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2011, 09:58:44 am »
Thanks Dale.
The frame appears to be a Bultaco Metisse or M11 Bultaco which is legal for pre 65. The engine's an oval barrel 250 which is also pre 65 legal making the sum of the whole.....pre 65 legal
Even though the above bike appears to be remarkably similar to my under construction Maico Metisse, in fact it's a very different thing. The frameon mine's from a Zundapp Metisse which didn't come out until 1971= pre 75 legal. My 250 square barrel engine is pre 70 legal but unfortunately I have to go with the newest major component which puts min straight into pre 75. What makes my bike appear to be pre 65ish is the specially made Mk3 style tank and bodywork put together by my friend Ben in the UK(Flower Pot racing on this forum) . It's the best 'glasswork I've ever seen.

« Last Edit: February 02, 2011, 10:15:44 am by firko »

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2011, 10:37:19 am »
That would a sweet pre 65 250 bike.
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2011, 09:47:21 am »
Don't ya love the look of that scolloped-finned barrel too!

firko

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2011, 10:55:54 am »
Don't ya love the look of that scolloped-finned barrel too!
Yeah I love it too John...I got it off Paul but have no idea of its history. It's had some nice 70's period porting done as well so I'll most probably use it.

The reason I've come to a stop on this bike is the evil curse of indecision. Because of the sudden and unplanned profusion of DT1/RT1 powered projects I'd talked myself into fitting a DT1 engine into the little Rickman to continue the hot rod Yamaha theme. The only thing stopping me is that the square barrel Maico engine fits in so nicely and looks so right in there. Love 'em or not, the square barrel Maico certainly has a visual presence like no other engine. The counter balance between the round, flowing Rickman curves and the teutonic, almost Third Reich style angular shape of the Maico engine make for a good visual impact. When I announced that I was considering fitting a DT1 engine to the Metisse the good 'ol boys, almost to the man all protested, telling me it was gods will that a Maico engine live in the little Metisse. My other reason for the hesitation is that as cool as the bike'll look, it doesn't fit properly into any race era. It looks pre 65, has a pre 70 engine but is essentially stuck in pre '75 because of the 1974 frame. Even though my racing days are long over, I still like to build my bikes to fit into a particular era and this ones a bit 'all over the place'. I'll make a good Classic Dirt bike though. ;)

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2011, 01:59:36 pm »
Mark, yr phrase "the evil curse of indecision" is spot on. I know eactly what you mean. So many of my projects stalled cos of too many good options & I can't decide which, so nothing gets done. At least, thats my excuse & I'm sticking to it!

If its any help, I'd go w the Maico engine w the scolloped barrel. That is soo distinctive & soo early-70's. I know its brand new Mk3 glass you've got, but can I suggest a Mk4 tail section w the slimmer Mk3 tank, if it could be arranged & a nice thru-the-frame pipe. Then it'd look period pre75 & a very trick one-off special appropriate to yr collection. I know the engine is pre-70 legal but that scolloped barrel changes the look so much to a more modern post-70 look (esp if you use the later slimmer clutch cover) & w the ported squarie engine & longer w'base w a Maico swingarm it'd still surely be competitive in pre-75. I'd love it in my shed.

The 250/360 Yam emgines just don't look right in the micro metisse chassis to my eye.

It does look like the rear of the Maico clutch cover has to sit behind the frame downtube tho. Does that still allow the correct offset for the chain to align w the rear wheel?
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 05:15:35 pm by JC »

firko

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2011, 04:09:17 pm »
Mark, yr phrase "the evil curse of indecision" is spot on.
I'm usually pretty organised and like to map things out in my head before I even start a project and that's how it was until the Yamaha idea came up. The Hindall Yamaha and Cheney also got in the way so the little Rickman project started to get a little flaky. That indecision is now in the past, I'm going with the Maico.
I'll use the cutaway barrel, and the nice little 250 square bottom end that's got a Yamaha rod and big end, Motoplat ignition and some other little tricks. I hope to be able to use an up pipe, when I had the 360 RT1 engine in there for a dummy build the the Torque Industries DT2MX pipe fitted really well. I'll either modifiy it to suit the Maico or get GMC or Lozza to make me one. I'm still undecided (theres that word again) on whether I'll use oval outer clutch cover or sand cast later model case, I'll wait until I get it in there properly first. The problem with the case being in behind the swingarm pivot isn't as dramatic as it appears in the photo, the engine is a little crooked in that shot. The bare frame photo shows the engine exactly where it should be and it's not so bad. It'll be pretty easy to get sprocket alignment.

I've got to disagree with you on the square tail section. The very reason I changed over to my smicko Mk3 glass is that I hate the Mk 4 boxy look. The Maico swingarm is so perfect. It's 95% bolt up, the only things that'll need changing are the torque arm and shock mounting points. I had a bit of a fiddle with the Metisse today and I must admit that I'm a bit excited about getting back into it. As soon as the Hindalls are finished I'll make a start on it.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2011, 10:55:00 am »
I've got to disagree with you on the square tail section.

Just floating an idea to overcome yr stated predicament of the pre65 look for a pre75 bike. 

Then I remembered last night that the 74 Rickmans came w 2 diff tail sections, one looking like an elongated Mk3 style that was very rounded http://www.theowencollection.com/images/Motorcycles/Large/74Rickman/74RickmanLeftSide.gif

& the other looked like a cross between a Mk4 & Mk3 style as shown in the Rickman-Monty125 you posted here.http://ozvmx.com/community/index.php?topic=7957.270

firko

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2011, 11:24:41 am »
AJ's got one of those late '74 rounded tail sections that he bought to try on Ugly Betty (Rickman SL125)but it looked a bit fugly. I tried it on mine and got the same result...I also tried both styles of Mk4 tails and didn't like them either. The only Mk4 panels I'm considering are the side number plates that have the bump for the up pipe on the right side. I've got a pair of Bultaco M11 covers too so whichever suits best will get the nod. I haven't got a problem with the pre 65 look, in fact that's the look I wanted. My only disappointment is that it has to go into pre '75 rather than it's spiritual home, pre '70. I've got a pre 65 legal oval engine that'd be in there like a shot if I could race it in pre 65 but instead, I'll probably fit it to one of my Sprite frames for pre 65.....in about 2014 ;D.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2011, 11:28:39 am by firko »

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2011, 11:45:34 am »
AJ's got one of those late '74 rounded tail sections that he bought to try on Ugly Betty (Rickman SL125)but it looked a bit fugly. 

Yeh, I agree.

I do like the other 74 style tho, but of course its your choice