Author Topic: Engine flush  (Read 2309 times)

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
Engine flush
« on: January 27, 2011, 12:16:58 pm »
Hi All

I am about to take delivery of a bike sourced in the US (RM465Z). If all is as it should be it should be just about race ready and I am looking forward to dipping my toe into a few VMX events this year.

The top end has been rebuilt and cosmetically it is looks pretty good  (in the photos!!) As far as I am aware the seller drained the crankcase of oil for shipping, and it could be up to 2 months since it has had oil in it.

Newby question but ......should I flush it out before refilling with oil and if so what product ...  off the shelf product......Kero?

Thanks in advance

The best of both worlds! - '82 RM465Z & '10 KTM 530 EXC

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
Re: Engine flush
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2011, 10:41:00 pm »
if 4 stroke,el cheapo multigrade just to circulate & warm up the motor,dump,replace oil filter,good oil n go,if 2 smoke,just replenish gearbox oil n go,fugg the kero trip ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2011, 10:57:05 pm »
Would seemlike its a 2 stroke being an rm465. I would just use a 10wt full synthetic 2 stroke gearbox oil, say silkoline or motul about $20 per litre.
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2011, 10:59:30 pm »
For the sake of a base gasket i'd be taking the top end off and seeing what the "real" state of play is. If it's come from the states, crossed the equator and been in a container, surface rust could be an issue. It will also give you a chance to check the bottom end as well. Replacement of the gearbox oil with basic gearbox oil should be fine, but don't be in a rush to start and ride it cause the clutch will be bound up.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2011, 12:07:19 am »
Why wouldn't you split the cases and spend $60 on new bearings?
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2011, 02:47:41 pm »
Thanks guys

I plan to eventually pull the bottom end down and replace all the bearings and other bits as necessary later in the year but was hoping to ride a few events this year before doing so, all dependent of course on the state of the bike.

I thought it might be wise to flush out the crank case before refilling it and wasn't sure if there was a specialty product or just refill it

Cheers

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2011, 03:43:19 pm »
i bought a yz125x with the same new top end. look throufg the port yep new.first race meeting nip up twice.
also jumping out of 1st.
apart how reason for nip up not enough piston to bore clearence.now for the gearbox.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2011, 04:55:05 pm »
Don't let it get it caught in the S bend, it's a prick to release.  :-[
   The new cheap oil ,warmed and dumped then replaced with fresh quality stuff is the go. If you think that will not be enough for any reason, only option for you is the remove and a full strip down. Tim754 
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

lc4

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2011, 08:55:39 pm »
Could never grasp the "engine flush" thing, what is a swill of kero going to do?

Offline Bitten

• B-Grade
  • Sydney, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2011, 09:59:20 pm »
I might be jumping at shadows but I just thought that after 2 months or so without oil crossing the planet on a ship it might gum up or some other perceived horror might befall the crankcase and if so what would be the best way to resurrect it, as to Kero... I was just throwing it out there. Thanks for the advice and I think once it gets here I will just go slow and see what condition it arrives in
Cheers to all