Author Topic: RT1-360  (Read 14349 times)

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: RT1-360
« Reply #30 on: January 15, 2011, 03:54:39 pm »
As Firko said, I'd be surprised if it was actually anywhere near 500cc.
If its got a reed valve, then its no good for pre-70 - unless you fit a pre-reed top end.

Front guard extended is most likely the optiona B-model part c1975. I'm happy to be corrected, but I'd say that the same is true of the bars and grips.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline Billet YZ

• Legend
  • Melton Victoria.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 15, 2011, 03:57:51 pm »
That ''500cc'' kit sounds like a bit of a stretch but it may have a GYT race kit in it. If it does indeed have a 500 kit it's most certainly a home made deal. The RT1 is quite legal for pre '70 class and can be made competitive with a wee bit of work. The handlebars sound like solid alloy Inter-Ams which were popular in the day, as were those awful Hex-Grips.
What colour was the tank? Is it for sale? How much? Have you got any photos?

Thanks Firko,
                    the tank looks like it is in a faded yellow undercoat, i will confirm next week if it is for sale and how much, and no photos as yet, i will try for more detailed info regarding the 500cc side of it. Peter.
YAMAHA  you know you want one !!!  Viper #50

Doggy Digger

« Reply #32 on: January 15, 2011, 04:03:14 pm »
First 360 had the yellow stripe.
Second model had the red stripe.

I bought quite a lot of kickstart idler gears, as the kickbacks cracked them.  I also had alloy
welding done, to repair the clutch cover on two bikes, as the kickback also split the
casing where kickshaft comes out.

Sons of bitches.

Which leads to the philosophy of kickback.   You needed to be committed, and kick hard.   
Catch 22 - you were too scared to kick hard!

firko

« Reply #33 on: January 15, 2011, 04:16:39 pm »
First 360 had the yellow stripe.
Second model had the red stripe.
Correctomundo Rog....I had a yellow stripe RT1MX that Pete Geohegan imported into Autralia from America in pieces in the boot of his Mustang touring car. I went through a hell of a lot of kick starter gears and repaired my cases at work on a regular basis. I also used to carry a little tin of flywheel keys as my bike had a bad habit of sheering them with regularity. Despite the bike being such a pig to start, it went like a fuel dragster, almost as quick as my 350 Maico.....well, actually, the Yamaha would peg the Maico in a drag race but their abilities became miles apart after the first corner or even the first slight bump.

It's kind of ironic that I've now gone back to fiddling with RT1/DT1s. I've just been out in the shed pulling down a DT1 engine helped along by a bit of Herbie Hancock on the stereo, the aircon on full blast and a few 'Fat Head' lagers to help the concentration/relaxation mode. A cool afternoon working on a cool engine :).

Doggy Digger

« Reply #34 on: January 15, 2011, 05:23:32 pm »
Wrong first name, but this I think is the car driver (#5 at rear).   Or, where there two brothers ..?

Engine casings are very shiny - bike looks new

« Last Edit: January 15, 2011, 05:25:14 pm by Doggy Digger »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 15, 2011, 05:31:13 pm »
Wrong first name, but this I think is the car driver (#5 at rear).   Or, where there two brothers ..?

Yes to both: Ian/"Pete" and his brother Leo.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #36 on: January 15, 2011, 08:29:54 pm »
Cool shot ....that's big Pete (Ian) riding the RT1 that eventually became mine. I don't have a picture of it at all sp that's a keeper. The bike met a terrible death when Porky Drake, the bloke I sold it to wired the throttle on full, slammed it into gear and launched it into the Pacific ocean off North Head at Maroubra. Even though the bike was past its glory days and in less than pefect condition after Porky had flogged it almost to death in the bush at Menai, it was no way to treat a bike with a bit of history (and a rare, genuine MX as well). I still get a little shitty when I think of it. :'(

The photo appears to be taken at Amaroo Park...you can bet that Kevin Bartlett would have been there on his 501 Maico as well. Those road racing blokes were like a roving rat pack, they all had big bore dirt bikes and flogged the shitter out of them. I think Geohegan bought a 360 Greeves after selling me the Yamaha.

Doggy Digger

« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2011, 09:35:52 pm »
"Those road racing blokes were like a roving rat pack, they all had big bore dirt bikes and flogged the shitter out of them."

I also have a photo of Bartlett practising on a DT1 for one of the Sunraysias.  (Sorry - cannot load it up; am back home from
the office)   They probably used him as a celebrity, to give the promotional article more weight.  Everyone loved the Sunraysia.

And I think DT1s and RT1s loved Australia.  It was the bike they had to build - for all the convict bogans Downunder, who
were crying out for more action.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2011, 09:57:13 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.