Author Topic: TM's what do people think of them?  (Read 4589 times)

Bioflex

Re: TM's what do people think of them?
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2010, 10:38:26 pm »
Just thought I'd update this post as I took delivery of this bike on the weekend.
Took a massive chance picking a bike up I had never seen in person before, and taking it straight on a big weekend of riding.

First thing, it wouldn't start. Ok, in my experience that's kinda normal for two strokes, then I looked down and realised the carby was on a very strange angle (ie not screwed tight to the manifold at all which would have caused a massive air leak) and the drain plug was loose, which meant fuel was pissing straight out the carby!
I don't know what kind of idiot sells a bike in that condition, I suppose if you are silly enough to buy a bike sight unseen then you get what you deserve.....

15 minutes later all was fixed and she fired into life quick smart.

After spending the last few years on big bores (4 strokes and 2 strokes) this thing was an instant revelation. Amazing throttle response, revs to the moon, clutch, gearbox and everything else just feels so slick.

While it's only a 125, the little dinger handled itself very well in the many beach drags we enjoyed that weekend. The much newer 4 stroke 250F was left behind and the 250 2 strokes only beat it by a bee's dick over the strip which was likely about 250 - 300 meters.
The thing was thrashed all weekend and never missed a beat, apart from losing nuts and bolts all over the place!

I should have bought one of these years ago, as I already feel so much faster on it.

Anyway, if anyone out there knows much about the TM's (Nathan maybe?) I'd appreciate a tip.

The rear end has been stuffed with, either the side panels or rear guard have been taken off another bike or model as the clearly don't fit each other. As you can see in the photos, the side panels have a round profile where they should meet the guard, where as the rear guard's edge is flat.
I am quite confident the rear guard has been ripped off something else (perhaps a later model) as the bolt holes don't line up but would like to know for sure before I get another.

Can anyone explain how to attach pics here?
This forum doesn't seem to have the same options as others I have used.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2010, 10:50:34 pm »
You gotta host them on an external site like photobucket or flickr. Not too hard and well worth the effort to set up an account with them.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Bioflex

« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2010, 10:56:24 pm »
Just doing it now.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2010, 11:16:11 pm »
Some vague statements now, because I'm not 100% sure on stuff myself (and some extra info so you might be able to help me out if you stumble over something more definite):

1. 99% sure that you rear guard is KX - looks a lot like my '94 KX125's rear guard. May possibly be from a newer KX? The indentation on the top is all Kawi, though. (Best pic I can manage at 11:20pm: http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280601803019&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT ).

2. I'm told that my 94 TM uses an early 90s KX rear guard. I've got a 92 KX125 as well as the 94 KX125 - they've both got different rear guards to the 94 TM. Maybe my 94 TM uses a 90/91 KX guard?

3. The 04 TM's rear guard is visually identical to an 00/01 KX, but apparently they are different in the mounting points (the 01 KX guard I've got was hacked to fit an 87 KDX, so I've only got the bit from behidn the seat - it is an identical size & shape to the TM's guard).

Have I confused you yet? I've confused myself!

Edit: I reckon you need an 99ish KX rear guard: http://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C10%5C26%5Cbikepics-2086645-800.jpghttp://p1.bikepics.com/pics/2010%5C10%5C26%5Cbikepics-2086645-800.jpg

Don't use it 100% because there are some mistakes in the info provided, but this is useful too:
http://www.dirtbikeworld.net/forum/showthread.php?t=29844

« Last Edit: December 20, 2010, 11:45:14 pm by Nathan S »
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Bioflex

« Reply #19 on: December 21, 2010, 12:26:43 am »
Cheers Nathan, great detective work there.

The 99-02 model rear guard does look like it would match my side covers very well, so perhaps someone has whacked an earlier model one on, them again it could be a later one though as the later one's appear to run a flat profile rather than the curve.

Well, I think I've established the guard is the problem rather than the side covers, best of all Kawasaki guards of those years do come in black which should mean mush easier sourcing.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 21, 2010, 06:42:47 am »
your next bike should be 1 of these great bike tm300

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 21, 2010, 08:31:38 pm »
That was yours eh Jim, i reckon you showed me that before you sold it?
Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2010, 08:37:12 pm »
yep that was my 1 let nathan have a ride on it at yass one weekend
jim

Bioflex

« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2010, 09:37:40 pm »
I'm considering myself pretty lucky. Today, headed out to the local TM dealer with guards and side panels, the dealer has a squiz and mentions he may have his old guard from his 2001 model out the back!
We head out there, dig up a guard which has "99 kx" on the back and it looks like a perfect fit.

She's about as worn out as my bike, so he gives it to me for nothing!
Once back home, seems to fit very well.

Jimg, a 300 would be nice, but if I was going to shell out for another I'd opt for this one which is still for sale. Holds the record for the fastest bike ever up the mighty pikes peak.  http://www.supermotoaus.com/showthread.php?t=9684&page=
« Last Edit: December 21, 2010, 09:40:48 pm by Bioflex »

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2010, 11:15:48 pm »
Bit more detective work for you, Bio (I'm lying - I just happened to stumble across it):

The 03+ KXs have a different rear guard to your original one. The edge where the guards meet the side plate is angled the other way (fowards vs backwards).

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 22, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »
Ran a TM125 for my son for 3 years.All the best gear,very trick high horsepower,motors cleaned up go kart racing here,reliable to
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina