Author Topic: looking for a Kawasaki seat but it's non vmx  (Read 1239 times)

DR

looking for a Kawasaki seat but it's non vmx
« on: December 13, 2010, 12:26:06 am »
Looking for a '70/'80's kawasaki KH125 or maybe even KH100 seat for my old commuter. I know it's not vmx but thought it worth asking as it is old :) near any condition acceptable as it has to be modified regardless. I have pretty much everything needed to get her back to the same/better but wasted near the whole day looking for the seat..I now have an awful gut feeling it got thrown away during a blonde moment :( the seat is like the one below but without the cutaway..that's part of the modding :P

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
Re: looking for a Kawasaki seat but it's non vmx
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2010, 06:03:19 pm »
I did bang this up on the KawaRiders forum......but of course the forum has been down since the day I did it while they change servers or some such. ::)

DR

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2010, 07:53:30 pm »
Thanks MX, someone may have something..never thought of Kawa forums ;)

NGK..looks like I made a blunder..the KH100 seats are a no go as the rear is different where it fits into the cowling. Bugger..heaps of those and at good prices too! ::)

DR

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2010, 08:52:03 pm »
mmm..might be a little expensive coming from the UK I feel, I don't really want to spend too much on a seat  to chop and have covered ;) Starting to think I should maybe make my own base and have it covered by the local trimmer. Been playing with the bike off and on for a few days and I've since shortened the rear subframe and moved the cowl and the guard forward about 2 to 3 inches. Enough room for a good size single seat. I might hold off buying anything for a bit. If the shortening mods don't work out then at least I know I can use my original design with an original seat but I'd also reckon there'd have to be something local..somewhere! :P

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2010, 01:55:38 am »
 Nice looking scooter Doc.
V nice indeed .

i would make a 3ply frame witha bit of bog and use that as a glass mould  and make my own and its sure to fit.
 yeah i know thats stuffin around  but its a pretty scooter,

remember that your making a mould so its the underneath dimensions and finish your going to make from the plug.

volks glass , not far from moss st. the owner wil tell you all you need to know and not bad priced.

just use a heavy fibre for the plug so it has strength and bog can fill up the gaps.
 yeah i know its gonna cost about $100 for the finished item uncovered but you have the plug and the rest of the materials to make more seat bases.
 gimmee a hoy if you need a heads up.

Nice scooter

DR

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2010, 07:37:41 am »
Thanks Shane. Being a 1 off base now I been thinking of beating one out of 1.6 mm aluminium. (I have that in stock ;)) maybe 2 piece job, the flat base and another piece that fits upright at the back against the cowl. Shouldn't be a huge task as the top of the rear subframe is quite flat. I be keeping an eye open for early TS185's locally but as yet I've seen very little on offer. ;)

Offline oldskool

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 23, 2010, 10:19:28 pm »
hi doc there was a pretty tidy ts 185 on ebay up here somewhere starting at $500 on for a week and no bids.cheers gary