Author Topic: camchains  (Read 4080 times)

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
camchains
« on: November 17, 2010, 02:54:21 pm »
got a mate doing his motors top end,so he got two cam chains for XT500's,( i'm doing a motor too),shop supplied chains,(non genuine) have split rollers,not sure this is a good idea??, :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
Re: camchains
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2010, 03:55:51 pm »
Mick, I've used the split link cam chains in all of my XT and TT motors , 6th one on the bench now, and never had a problem, as long as you carefully peen the pins over before you fit the chain and install it as an endless chain.
Foss
Mick I've just re read your post, do you mean split joining link ? or  are the rollers actually split ?, what brand and number are the chains ??
« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 03:59:48 pm by jap454 »

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2010, 05:29:40 pm »
split rollers Foss,(i'm ok with splitting/peening joining links),1st one i got  is RK Excel,2nd is XRP from A1,last time i used split roller chain was from Repco for matchless maggy & genny chains,no contest there ::),morrie minor camchains the go,(feel free to jump in here Pancho ;D),not so sure in "moderner" motors but ???, :P

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2010, 05:50:41 pm »
OK , Mick
I think the OEM chain is endless , and I thought you'd be ok with peening, but split rollers ?? I haven't struck them in a Yammy cam-chain.  The chains I've been using are RK Excel 219 , #106, and they are solid rollers and , as I said , I've had no probs with them.
Let me know how you get on.
Foss

« Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 07:31:30 pm by jap454 »

Offline pancho

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2010, 06:03:58 pm »
I'm watching and learning Mick, The idea of split rollers worries me, seams like something one would use on a roller door! I'll report back after I check my spare bits.cheers pancho.
dont follow me i'm probably off line!

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2010, 06:12:50 pm »
not wrong Pancho ;),Foss thats odd,my RK excel's 219 too,except it's 120 links,my faded memory seems to remember 219FTS being cam chain designation?,or is that kwaka KL250 cam chain type,think i'll have to go genuine,cheers  :P

Offline JAP 454

• Legend
  • See Ya at the Skids
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2010, 06:26:23 pm »
Yeah Mick, split rollers would worry me , too. just checked me spare one , same as, solid rollers, not a case of right box, wrong chain is it ?
Don't forget to stand the frame on its head a bit when getting old oil out as you would be surprised how much gunk is retained in the lower, rear,  part of the frame / oil-tank on the XTs.
Foss

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2010, 06:44:37 pm »
 Have seen split roller chains used on a chaff cutter. :)
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2010, 10:09:07 pm »
Mick, what did you work out with the timing chains? talk to any of the suppliers of the split link jobbies? after your post ordered genuine yamaha chain!
Couple of CR`s

Offline Snowy 76

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2010, 10:13:30 pm »
Sorry, Split roller jobbies :)
Couple of CR`s

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2010, 10:24:13 pm »
In my apprentice days I worked in large factory. We used miles of chain and it was all split roller type apart from a few high speed high load situations.

I asked the tradesman I worked with about taking some for my bike (he was into MX as well) and he reckoned it is just industrial chain and no more, don't take the chance. It's fine for factory production machines and we would replace it on a schedule. I watched those chains for a while because at 16 years old I still though I could make it work on a bike and came to realise that there was no way it would hold up.

The rollers on this type of chain are rolled from flat sheet where on a high load chain they are drilled from solid bar.
A lot of split roller type chains don't have internal bushes where high load chains have the pins running in a bush inside the roller.

Even under a fairly constant load the split roller chain would stretch and the rollers would start to "unwind". We often know it was time to change a chain by the different sound they made as the wore.

Brent
The older I get, the faster I was

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2010, 07:07:35 pm »
Its not particularly hard to install the original chain so I would stay with that..... plus it is still available from Yamaha.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Colin Jay

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2010, 07:33:28 pm »
As an interesting asside, I just bought a genuine Yamaha camchain for my '83 XT600 Tenere. Cost $81. An aftermarket one on Ebay is listed at $95!

CJ
Why do things the easy way, when with a bit of effort you can really make it difficult for yourself!!

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2010, 08:16:23 pm »
Worked in a woolen mill as night fitter.
We had a elevator which used 2 of those chains with stainless slats bolted across them.
Took days to fix it when the chains went PoP.
Slats everywhere and all bent and twisted.
Made a horrible sound , woke me up .
Good thing we had spares.
Yer rite, tight owner , no spares. ;D
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2010, 12:09:16 pm »
Snowy,will find out tonight at my club meeting,shop was reordering,assume they'll be genuine this time!, :P
btw,for all earlier small hondas ie SL/XL100,125's,XL185/200R etc,a good h/d camchain is DID gocart drive chain,it's dogbone type sideplates,lightweight,bloody strong,heatreated,i also use it in my SL350 twin.