Author Topic: Old Bike Australia - DT1 article  (Read 8260 times)

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: Old Bike Australia - DT1 article
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2010, 07:11:46 pm »
Good to see some of those old mag ads again.....seem to remember Trail & Track doing an performance article on the CT1-1's, think they claimed some thing like 30 odd horses from the mods......HUGE :o

Hi MX?
I have lasting memories of the CT1 as I rode one from Ballarat in Vic. to Coffs Harbour about 1600 klm's when I was 17 and 9 months (and a couple of days) It was the longest ride of my life. Had to stop every 80 to 100 klms for fuel. 100  klm's per hour down hills 80klm's up hills.

Regards Stan

Offline crossedup2

• B-Grade
  • Never enough shed time.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2010, 09:01:46 pm »
Hi All
I too brought a CT3 when I was 17 and rode the wheels off it. Still have it 33 years later. Now also have an AT1 and a CT1 and lots of bits that seem to find there way under my house. Thanks to Nathan S and DG26

When I first got the CT3 a friend not long before me had a CT1 and did all the mods that T&T suggested. No dyno's where I lived but it was definately up there for power. And very fast in a straight line.......

Now I ride (sort of race) the AT1 at Heaven meets. It's fun when, for not a lot of money I'm running around on a pre 70 bike. These bikes sort of cement themselves into your childhood and are still there all these years later.

PB
Anything Yamaha. AT1, CT1 (X3), RT1, DT3 (x3), YZ125X,  YZ250E, YZ400D, IT175E, IT250H, XR500RC . Always looking for Pre 78 Yamaha stuff....

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2010, 08:57:54 pm »
a neat 69 model  8)
http://www.vintagemx.us/cgi-bin/swapmeet.cgi
FOR SALE
Ad # 3155708   July 9, 2010
This is a great matching numbers original bike. This is the first year AT1 with all of the unique 1969 parts that make it special. According to my calculations this is the 1,467th AT1 ever to be produced (1969 started with AT1-10100) It is unrestored, with just a few things done to make it rideable. It has a little over 3500 original miles and runs amazingly well. It idles perfect, runs and rides super smooth. Everything works, electric start, all of the lights, horn, brake light, neutral light, running light...everything! I've been riding this bike around town this week and have had a blast. I have quite a few vintage street bikes and this little AT1 has got to be the funnest of them all...seriously, this thing is a ton of fun to ride on the street.

Like I said, this bike is unrestored original except for the following items:

New Crank Seals (Both sides)
New Seat Cover
New Battery
New Cheng Shin Replica Tires
New "125 Enduro" decal on oil tank
New Replica "Yamaha" badges on the tank
New-ish paint on engine side covers and exhaust
This bike is fully tuned and ready for riding. It is 41 years old, so please be aware that it has some scratches, small dings, ect that go along with a bike of this age. It is not restored. If you are looking for a pristine bike, this isn't it. If you enjoy the "character" and "patina" of a vintage bike, well, here you go!

When I was replacing the crank seals I cleaned up/de-glazed the clutch and checked everything out...it was all perfect, just as you would expect from a low-mileage bike like this. The crank had zero play when pushed from side to side, meaning that the bearings are ready for years and years of future riding. The carb has been cleaned and inspected. The air filter has had the rotting paper element removed and replaced with Uni Air FIlter foam (looks stock, but inside the airbox is a much better air filter now). This thing is ready for action.

Here are a few problem areas I've noticed: The tank looks good, but the clear coat is pealing a bit on top, could probably be rubbed/polished out. I have the orinal speedometer with the original mileage, but the glass is broken out(included in sale). I replaced it with the one pictured, but when I was riding it today it wasn't moving! Hopefully the cable slipped out of place, I'll check and post the results. You can see there is some battery acid that was spilled on the chaingard. The "bash gaurd" is not on the bike, but I have it (pretty banged up and greesy!). The baffle for the exhaust is not there, shouldn't be hard to find here on ebay. The levers are a little banged up, work fine, but could use replacing. Also, there are scratches and chips here and there as expected from a bike of this age.

I have a clear California title, though it is not currently registered. It's been off the highway for about ten years, so it should be just a matter of transfering the title to your name and re-registering it (when it's been this long there aren't any back fees).

$1200

Gabriel Trench
Hemet, CA
Phone: (818) 634-9175 | Email
Best is in the West !!

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2010, 09:50:25 pm »
My first bike was a CT2, saved up me money from working after school and bought it...$500 smackers in 1974...had to get the bloke to ride it home for me as I couldnt even ride....he must have thought all his christmases had come at once, anyway taught myself to ride and got my licence and use to ride to school every day...went every where on that little sucker, visited the local Yamaha dealer alot aswell...use to break the kickstart idler gear all the friggen time. Traded it on a brand new DT250B....wooohoooo.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2010, 04:22:18 pm »
1968 Australian Scramble Championships Collie WA

« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:38:12 pm by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

firko

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2010, 04:44:54 pm »
Bob Voumard who was the 1968 Australian Title winner shown above is one of the craziest, most complex individuals I've met in vintage racing. Even as an over 50 on his CZs and Metisse, he rode like an 18 year old and acted like one with the babes afterwards as well. A very entertaining but very "different" individual,  I liked the bloke a lot but I wouldn't lend him my bike or leave him alone with my missus for one second. Old school racers, especially South Aussies will know what I mean.

He was arguably the first person in the world (outside of Japan) to win a National Motocross title on a Japanese bike.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2010, 04:46:48 pm by firko »

Offline bazza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2010, 05:42:03 pm »
got to love last line on programme photo = official number painter
Once you go black  you will never go back - allblacks
Maico - B44 -1976 CR250- 66 Mustang YZF450,RM250
Embrace patina

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2010, 08:41:40 pm »
LG--Lifes Good --just found someone who has this on DVD  :-*

1968 Australian Scramble Championships Collie WA

Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 28, 2010, 11:15:12 pm »
More dirt or Feedback for Firko   ;)   ;D  Lots of people had a DT1 or a Bridgestone  ;D

Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2010, 12:41:22 pm »
This is an article from the Collie Mail October 16th.. 1969.

Best is in the West !!

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
Best is in the West !!