Author Topic: yz 250f  (Read 2168 times)

Offline walshy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
yz 250f
« on: December 13, 2010, 08:06:40 pm »
Hey everyone. New member looking for bits for my new project 79 yz250f. Would appreciate any help. Classic dirt is not far away!! Cheers

TM BILL

Re: yz 250f
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2010, 08:08:38 pm »
[quote  looking for bits for my new project 79 yz250f. Would appreciate any help. Classic dirt is not far away!! Cheers
[/quote]

Shit you must live close to Connondale  ;D ;D  runs for cover

Offline walshy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2010, 08:33:34 pm »
Maybe!!!

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2010, 09:02:57 pm »
What are you in need of walshy also state condition that you require the part to be in (for the benefit of others).... I dont have much stuff for an F as i gave it away when i sold mine.
Cheers Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline walshy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2010, 10:00:24 pm »
Hey Brett, I'm starting at the front. I need a front brake shoe plate, front axle, spokes kit ,cap/air valve to top of forks and handle bars. This would get me a rolling frame to get started. The condition I am after I guess would be fair to good? So long as they are complete.I'll be looking out for a motor as well. If you can piont me in the right direction I would appreciate it. This is all new to me!!
Regards ,Steve

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2010, 10:22:28 pm »
Are you going for a proper 100% original resto, or a ride bike?

The basic motor was only used in 1979 model YZ250/400, and 79/80 IT250/425, FWIW.

Front spoke kits are almost universal among Yammies of the era - everything that had the 322 or 1K7 front hub uses the same spoke kits.
Front brake plates are much the same. Any single leading shoe YZ/IT brake will work, providing its from a bike with a conical hub and leading axle forks.

For the 'bars, passable copies are available if you look around. Originals are rare, but you shouldn't have to pay much if you find them. For a ride bike, just get some 764 Renthals and be happy.

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Offline oldyzman

• Legend
  • 250 two stroke!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2010, 10:38:31 pm »
Walshy,

Seeing that your at the roller stage, Make sure that the bush in the rear brake backing plate spins inside the housing cause if it doesn't then the rear suspension will not work. This one got me stuck for a while... Also look at casting marks (numbers) on various items. some may be passed on from previous models (i understand that yamaha did that a bit) but be careful with certain components like the cylinder etc..
Have you built bikes before? There is some real basic step by step things as you pill things apart or assemble. Manuals will tell you some stuff. Guys here will help a lot.. I know of a link to show diagrams etc on a fische. do you need this?

Nathan knows a great deal about yammies.

Brett
I have a soft spot japanese mxers with aluminium tanks. Two stroke classic Dirt Track...

Offline holeshot buddy

• Legend
  • sunshine coast qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 13, 2010, 10:44:10 pm »
i thought you had a front brake plate ;)
follow me to first turn

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010, 10:53:06 pm »
Best assembly manual for any bike is a parts manual!!
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline walshy

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2010, 06:11:16 pm »
thanks guys, take all that on board. I don't think it will be 100% resto. just want something to gin around with.