Author Topic: boring carburettors  (Read 5103 times)

DR

Re: boring carburettors
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2010, 09:41:57 am »
It is the bolt spacing that's the problem Nathan. TS185's and 250's also offer up larger flange mount carbs but they are way bigger..the 125 stud spacing is about 48mm..tiny :-\
« Last Edit: November 15, 2010, 09:43:44 am by Doc »

trailietrash

Re: boring carburettors
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2010, 05:51:15 pm »
Thank you all for imparting your wisdom and knowledge.

BTW nobody 'polishes' ports any more ;)
That will save me much time, Lozza, I have so far just smoothed the rough casting lumps and slight mismatches between the sleeve and cylinder on the inlet

I can do the job but if it were me I would be looking for alternatives first - machining time could well exceed the cost of a more suitable larger bore carby
This is what I expected that the price of a carb is much less today than back in the 70's when there probably was a lot more small engineering shops around as well with setup for a one off job being a major part of the cost. But I will keep you in mind Maicomc for a few bits and pieces that I would like vapor-blasted in the new year.

Trailie, what sort of riding will it be doing? mainly street? light trail? just puttering around?

More fast trail and no (sealed) road use i.e fire trail etc.. Doc, but as fast as my 50+ bones are happy with  ;) I'm 68 to 70kg so it is not like the bike is too small for my weight and I do have a TM125 inner rotor ignition which I was planning to fit to this motor.
I would like to keep the TS look to this one, so no RMs or m bits that would look out of place on the motor itself but still allow for some mods that will add a little punch. A good low pipe to replace the "flat bag" TS Pipe is one thing I have. (Tried buying a high pipe for this bike, as advertised by Frank Matich in 76, but by 78 NLA..  >:()

Gee... after all this wisdom I might just look at a re-jet to the existing carb and take it from there