Author Topic: RT1 replacement tank??  (Read 1840 times)

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
RT1 replacement tank??
« on: October 24, 2010, 02:01:13 pm »
Can anyone tell me which tanks will fit straight on to the RT1 frame??
I want to replace the standard tank which has the big chrome latch style fuel cap with a yamaha tank with the smaller screw type fuel cap (i think its mx maybe?)

I'm a bit yamaha illiterate so any help appreciated
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
Re: RT1 replacement tank??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:07:02 pm »
None that I know of - the seat rails on a DT1/RT1 frame split out from the main backbone quite a long way forward, meaning that any replacement tank has to have a very wide tunnel at the back.

The (rare) DT-MX tanks have the nicer screw-in cap, if you can find one.

The other option is to cut and shut the filler from any of the steel tanks with a screw in cap.

All of the steel tanks are stamped with a hole for the filler neck, and then they weld in which-ever type of filler neck (screw in vs trap door). This welding it done from the inside, before the inner tunnel is welded in.
So if you've got a donor tank with a screw-in filler neck (red-tank MX100 or monoshock DT are probably the most common/cheapest donor tanks), then its easy to cut the top off the tank and grind out the filler neck.

Getting the old filler neck out of the tank you want to keep is a fair bit harder though... If you think of a better way than hours with the die-grinder, then let me know! Actually... I've got a 90* drive for the Dremel - that would probably be a lot easier/quicker and you'd only have to grind away the weld, not the whole filler neck.

Anyhow, then braze the new filler neck into the original tank, because you can do that from the outside without having it look poop-house.

The screw-in filler caps are available new, for ~$40 BTW. They seem to attract silly money on Ebay at times, presumably because people don't realise that they can buy 'em new from Yamaha for less.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

firko

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 03:47:00 pm »
Maybe a bayonet style filler DT1 tank is what you require Mick? By "chrome latch" I'm presuming you mean the DT2/RT2 style 'flip up' cap. See difference below. I've never seen a ''screw in'' cap DT1 tank Nathan. The DT1MX cap is the same part # as the enduro. Do you mean the DT2MX style tank?

68-71 DT1/RT1 tank

DT2/RT2 tank

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 04:04:43 pm by firko »

Offline Mick22

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 08:58:28 pm »
Thanks for the info gys, my tank is the second one pictured with the flip up cap.

So are all the screw IN (black plastic cap not bayonet) type on Post 1970 models?

Will the MX360 tank fit or will it be fouled by the frame rails at the rear of tank.

I was thinking of the MX360 tank as they seem easy and cheap to get
Looking fo a TZ750 anyone with any leads please PM

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2010, 09:26:15 pm »
the MX360 tank should fit Mick but it won't be perfect and may need a bit of rubber under the tank here or there. the MX360/250SC500 tanks do have a wider rear tunnel as their frame rails are quite wide at the rear mount. i had one briefly on my RT1 but can't remember the exact details now.
the DT2MX style tank won't fit the DT/RT frame without mods to the frame. :'(
i like the look of the earlier DT1 style tank and they actually are easier on the nuts if you get my drift. 8)
MX360 tank not so nut friendly :o
"flat bickie"