Author Topic: Malanda NQ natural terrain MX  (Read 2594 times)

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Malanda NQ natural terrain MX
« on: November 10, 2010, 11:35:41 am »

I got to ride a natural terrain MX meeting at Malanda, North Queensland on 31/10/10 and still have a smile on my face. Although it is a meeting for modern bikes,there was a class in the program for us older guys on Evo bikes. Some younger guys have also now purchased Evo bikes, as they can see that it is a good class to ride in , with a less crowded field and cheaper purchase price for the bikes. This is good because it is introducing new blood to the VMX scene,( but bad because they are kicking us older guy's arses  :D). They usually run the women's class in with the EVOs and there is one or two girls that can kick our arses as well  :'(.
    I would rate this as one of the best venues for MX in the land and looks very much like the terrain of the Johnny Old meeting in NZ. It was a little bit dusty this year, which is unusual, because there is a reason for why everything is so green - it rains a lot here. I wish that I could have taken some better pictures to do the track justice and show the steepness of the terrain, but I will hopefully organize someone next year, thats not riding, with a good camera. I have forgotten how to post images properly on this forum, as it has been a while.
    On a worrying note, there was one nasty crash during the day that held up the racing for about an hour . It was looking like a helecopter ride out for the injured rider, but the chopper was too busy with other emergencies, so it ended up being a slow ambulance ride out . I haven't heard of the condition of the injured rider , but I hope he is ok .

« Last Edit: November 10, 2010, 11:53:35 am by Husky500evo »

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Malanda NQ natural terrain MX
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2010, 11:47:28 am »

firko

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2010, 11:55:46 am »
That's a decent little paddock there Mark. I presume the hill shown is downhill. Pity it's so far away for most of us. Any more shots?

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2010, 12:08:07 pm »
I took some more shots with my i-phone, but haven't worked out how to download them to my computer yet. I don't think that the quality will be that good anyway. I was hoping that my trouble & strife would have walked around the track & taken some photos with her new flash camera, but she ended up being roped into working in the canteen for a fair bit of the day ( & forgot to bring her camera as well ).

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2010, 02:16:54 pm »
You could label those pics NZed or Farliegh Castle and no one would be the wiser   ;D 
But yes that would be Queensland alright-top country for all era's  :P
Glad ya had a good event and mixed it with the moderns.
Do you break for Christmas/summer ??
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline number8

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2010, 05:20:10 pm »
Great looking Venue,

Offline Husky500evo

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2010, 06:10:57 pm »
Do you break for Christmas/summer ??
      Yes, I think that will be my last race meeting for the year, although we have a new vintage club that has fired up in Townsville and we may have an end of year fun day social ride/ show & shine before X-mas. It gets pretty hot and humid up here in summer , so I might spend some time getting my ski boat back into action, before getting back onto the bikes around March or April.
       As far as the Malanda venue goes, it is a great spot & I have waited all year for that event. I had to take a couple of days off work to go to it (& my work location is about 900km from Malanda), as I was rostered on to work that weekend . But it was well worth the drive and I had a fun time. I have seen some pictures a while back , of a track on John Boag's (I think) property, which looked similar to the Malanda countryside and would be interested in riding there if another event was run at that location .   

Offline brent j

• Legend
  • Darwin, NT. Suzuki tragic, RL250M TS90MX PE250B
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2010, 07:24:33 pm »
My sister and her husband are based in Malanda, I can see some "family visits" coming up.

What a great location!
The older I get, the faster I was