Author Topic: not as 1 eyed as I appear ;)  (Read 5941 times)

Doc

not as 1 eyed as I appear ;)
« on: August 05, 2007, 11:21:12 am »
I really have to thank Jackie Mac as I stole this pic from the double the dirt meet report held a few weeks back. There was this 1 bike that really caught my eye and impressed me no end :o I meant to have a closer look and get a few pics but forgot (this forgetfullness is becoming more and more common as the years progress unfortunately :P) The owner has obviously spent a long time on his vision and the end result was beautifully presented. Now I am not known as a Yammie fan but eh, there are exceptions. This is such an exception!

not the greatest pic sorry but believe me when I say it's beauty! It's an XS650!

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
Re: not as 1 eyed as I appear ;)
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2007, 05:34:43 pm »
A 650....Is that a bit "EXceSsive"? ;D

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2007, 06:22:04 pm »
Hmmm... Seems like a mad thing to do, but I guess it's just a more reliable way of building an old pommy bike... Probably leaks less oil too.

What age-class does it race in?

The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.

Doc

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2007, 07:18:41 pm »
Nathan the old 650 yams are a good thing if you have the balls to go that way. Years ago I had quite a bit of time aboard (on a flattish area and not an MX track) a tricked up XS fitted with Ivan Tighe cams, a 720 big bore kit, huge 'kuni's and many many other mods. This motor was fitted in a wasp MX outfit and it was bloody awesome producing mega ponies! :o This mx derivate in the above post has been done beautifully. I somehow don't think it leaked a drop of oil although it may have been a little off the pace due to the weight factor. Check this pic below of a belt drive cam set up unit..how trick is that! The motor below is Aussie too! eXceSSive yes but nice all the same  ;)

« Last Edit: August 05, 2007, 07:21:27 pm by Doc »

Offline pokey

• Legend
  • Arse .. Elbow. Know the difference
    • View Profile
    • FB
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2007, 07:23:06 pm »
 Guess who scored a Meccano set for Xmas? :o

Thats certainly a  bit Trick for an XS. could almost squeeze a small rootes type  blower  under those carbs  and run it from that belt huh  8)

Doc

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 07:47:15 pm »
mmmm..a blower sprung to my mind on first glance too Pokey ;D Nathan I think on the day it was simply in the pre78's open though I maybe wrong.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 08:25:49 pm »
If you run about thirty two ml carbies , strongly suggest that One car type SU is much easier option you will need to have at least 520 ml long inlet manifolds with the blower  , that at about 2.5 atmosphere boost , run about 7LBper square inch compression and as big as possible exhaust headers. Oh the XS650 standard bottom ends will have rods out the bottom of cases pretty quick, so beef up the bearing set up as much as you can ....... I am not kidding...........Tim
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

Offline gorby

• B-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 11:24:56 pm »
please,please,pretty please,someone ,anyone.

some more pics of the XS that doc spied.

Doc

Re: not as 1 eyed as I appear ;) XS650
« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2007, 05:37:49 am »
Gorby here's another but not real good either. I did have a close up on the start line but a recent computer glitch means I lost the most recent pics :'( bugger..this pic I had already stored online before said glitch :) It appears to be in the pre75 class but with the forks fitted it had me thinking pre 78. Hopefully the owner may visit the forum and spot his bike and be able to supply a better shot and more info as it is very very unique and very well done.

Offline vandy010

• Legend
  • #789 MX125a BMCC Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2007, 07:00:23 am »
it took me a while to spot this thread.
Doc, that xs650 sure is real sweet for sure!
when i first saw it at a bmcc practise day a while back it wore the kenny roberts yellow/black stripe get-up.
i was next to these guys in the pits on the flat track day. chris, the owner went pretty well but had reservations on taking it into the mx on sunday, so the rider you see in those pics are of his mate tony who also, and who would believe, just finished punting it around connondale!
someone might correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure it runs and early RM front end, XL feul tank with another tap fitted and runs pre 75.
it always seems to give the cavell brothers BSA's a good run into the first turn.
anyone who's got an interest in metal polishing should stop this chris bloke in his tracks and have a good chat with him, cause he's a top bloke and just loves his bikes.
"flat bickie"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2007, 09:18:40 am »
Those flatslide TM's are not pre 75 legal ;D Is it belt not chain drive as it looks as though it has a pulley where the sprocket should be?????
Jesus only loves two strokes

Doc

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2007, 09:21:33 am »
Thanks for the info Vandy, I love the polished look too so long as it isn't over done to a mirror finish..this bike absolutely shines and due credit where credit is due. Brilliant is another adjective that springs to mind  ;D 

Doc

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2007, 09:23:31 am »
Loz that pic of the pulley setup motor appears to be in a santee or chop frame or something..not exactly vmx friendly eh :D..hmmm..actually on closer inpection it looks like a stock frame..I just dunno..lots of bling all the same ;D
« Last Edit: August 06, 2007, 12:19:59 pm by Doc »

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2007, 01:24:28 pm »
The 650 in question belongs to a member or qvmx as well. I know him and believe me i've eaten serious roost all the way round Nudgee trying to get past ( on a it465?? ::)).If you want i will let him knwo you guys are interest for more info. He's just bought and restored another 2 bikes so you never know he might wanna get rid of it.
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '