Author Topic: Yvon DuHammel  (Read 3387 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
Yvon DuHammel
« on: January 06, 2008, 11:47:18 am »
After reading an article(Classic Racer) on Canadian mad man Yvon DuHammel, usually best known and associated with road racing and Kawasaki (triples in particular)  I was surprised to find he was Canadian Open MX champ in 70& maybe 71 on CZ 360 Twin pipe(????) talk about versatile.
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

Re: Yvon DuHammel
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 12:20:29 pm »
Yeah, Du Hamels not bad but I'd give my Mr Versatility medal to Dick Mann. Not only is he a flat track legend with two AMA titles, he was a winner in road racing (winning Daytona twice), motocross and enduro (numerous ISDE medals). He raced motocross well into his seventies until a bout of cancer got him a couple of years ago. He's still around but is in poor health.
 ** I noticed somewhere on the web that Kevin Schwantz is racing vintage motocross in Texas.

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 12:24:53 pm »
firko. maico james is from the lone star state he might  know more

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 09:18:57 pm »
Sad to hear Bugs has been unwell, but no surprise that he's fighting back. DuHamel was also a successful snowmobile racer as well, there are plenty of multi-taskers to add to the list though. Like Dick Mann, Kenny Roberts, Gary Scott and Jay Springsteen all won in a variety of disciplines, Sammy Miller the trials ace of the 60s also won roadrace GPs in the 50s, and Jean-Michel Bayle had a dual dig at world level in mx and roadracing. Bob Humphreys rode British League and test speedway for Australia, and is still roadracing today in historic, and 125 GP classes round Aussie, and the gifted but troubled Anthony Gobert was a winner at mx  and roadracing. For me, there's no clear winner, but the more you learn about the skills these stars of our sport display, the more you are impressed.... 8)
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 11:31:12 pm »
Yeah I forgot to mention that about Yvon,and he finished top 10 is his one and only Nascar race, beat Torsten Hallman in MX and with sons Mario na Miguel finished 7th(couldabeen 3 rd) but for a cross threaded wheel nut in the Bol'O'dor 24hr.They were all similar size and lapped at a similar pace, people thought Miguel was 'subbing' for the old man.Geez the multi taskers have a lot to admire the only Aussie like this I know of is Don Stafford who reached A grade in every disipline. Anyone else who really excelled at more than 2 displines?????

Offline GD66

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2008, 11:06:44 pm »
 You got me digging Lozza, Duhamel also excelled at ice racing, trials, got 6th in the Sacramento Mile in 1968 on a Yamaha, and 5th in the Dutch 250 TT of 1975 on a Kawasaki, in addition to all the other stuff he also dabbled in car racing. Jeez ! He'll be 70 next year. Hail, Superfrog !
Nostalgia's not what it used to be....

TooFastTim

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2008, 06:56:39 am »
Firko, Schwantz started as a trials rider moved to MX and finally road racing. He's now back in trials and is a regular competitor in trials in the SE region of the 'states. Very possibly he's riding VMX too.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2008, 03:13:56 pm »
Kevin credit's his 'unique' riding style to his trials rather than dirt track background.