Author Topic: VB360 Bing vs Mikuni ??  (Read 3102 times)

Offline bultokid

• Novice
    • View Profile
VB360 Bing vs Mikuni ??
« on: September 07, 2010, 05:46:12 AM »
Hello to all, starting to get into the VB360 project and have a carb question. The Bing 36 on it is going to need a overhaul and with the cost of Bing parts I can get a new Mikuni VM for less. Any real differences between them on the VB ?  On mu Buls always went with the Mik as always seemed to have one in the garage and parts are plentiful and can get them at the local Honda shop if I don't have what I need. I've never rode a VB360 but from all the mags I've read they all rave about the motor, really looking forward to it.

All Things 414

Re: VB360 Bing vs Mikuni ??
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 06:43:56 AM »
Debate rages as to the pro's and con's of changing to the Mikuni performance-wise. All that aside there are a few things you should do if you convert.
The outlet side of the Mikuni has to have a small ring pressed onto it so as it becomes the same size as the Bing outlet. This is so you get a good seal to the rubber manifold connector. It took me two blow-ups to realize that the Mikuni just doesn't seal well enough without the ring on it.

Also the rear of the Mikuni is a lot bigger and there's no way you can get the air-box to carby Montesa rubber manifold to go over the back of the carb. You'll probably have to get a pod filter for the Mikuni. I ran this set-up on a 360 motor (with 414 piston) and it works fine however the pods are a lot smaller than the Monty filter and you'd wanna be changing them a lot in dusty conditions,

Southwest Montesa have the press-on rings for the Mikuni.... :)

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:51:58 PM »
My last project bike was a VB360.  I left the Bing on because I had such a good run with a VR250 using the same. 
Some Say that the engine performs better with the Bing.  I had no complaints, just flood like crazy, and kick twice.
I picked up a new? Bing ex US 18 months ago for $US120 on ebay, and jetted to suit the Montesa.  Went great though with the old carb(no choke lever), just had to remember to turn off the fuel tap EVERY TIME, or a big pool of gas on the ground.

Andrew123

« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 10:42:27 PM »
My last project bike was a VB360.  I left the Bing on because I had such a good run with a VR250 using the same. 
Some Say that the engine performs better with the Bing.  I had no complaints, just flood like crazy, and kick twice.
I picked up a new? Bing ex US 18 months ago for $US120 on ebay, and jetted to suit the Montesa.  Went great though with the old carb(no choke lever), just had to remember to turn off the fuel tap EVERY TIME, or a big pool of gas on the ground.

Interested in your comments on the Bing. I am about to order a rebuild kit due to leaking fuel out the overflow. I assume the float needle/seat is worn. s this common even on a new Bing?

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 06:49:47 PM »
Check your float,(throw it in a container of petrol for an hour and see that its not leaking) the older white floats used to deteriorate and partially fill with fuel. The newer plastic type black floats are the go.

Andrew123

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2010, 10:22:05 PM »
Check your float,(throw it in a container of petrol for an hour and see that its not leaking) the older white floats used to deteriorate and partially fill with fuel. The newer plastic type black floats are the go.

Do you mean the float will settle lower in the fuel? I will give it a go.

Offline Slakewell

• Legend
  • Slakewell Motordrome
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2010, 09:35:00 PM »
If you want power buy Bing if you want fries with that buy Mikuni
Current bikes. KTM MC 250 77 Husky CR 360 77, Husky 82 420 Auto Bitsa XR 200 project. Dont need a pickle just need to ride my motorcickle

Offline bultokid

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2010, 12:24:54 AM »
If you want power buy Bing if you want fries with that buy Mikuni

LOL ;D....sounds like one of my Maico buds