Author Topic: First 4 years of Dirt Bike Magazine  (Read 3779 times)

TT

First 4 years of Dirt Bike Magazine
« on: July 08, 2010, 11:42:33 pm »
Rick Sieman just sent me a bunch of CD's that have every copy of Dirt Bike Magazine for the first 4 years on it.
I can't afford the time right now, but man there's some great reading in there!!
To quote Molly, 'Do yourself a favour' and grab them from www.superhunky.com

I'll admit I've been a Hunky fan for over 30 years, but this isn't a paid advert or anything.  :D

All Things 414

Re: First 4 years of Dirt Bike Magazine
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 05:52:48 am »
All of Rick's stuff is grouse. I religiously read his stuff as a kid and hero-worshipped him.
My wife couldn't understand why I went all 'fourteen yr old girl' when I met him at Classic Dirt. He is King..... ;)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2010, 08:48:13 am »
We too received our order yesterday in the mail. :P I was going to start another thread title "BUCKET LIST",things to do before we kick it.
Some don't like to talk of death but I have a shit load of stuff to do before I leave this planet.I was a bit dubious about putting up a thread like that.Tony T saved the day and started this one   8)  ;D
Anyway a must for a "bucket list", is to read the book Monkey Butt,I have only got into the fourth page and had three big muffin top laugh's already, this bloke is a scream  ;D  ;D
cheers Alison
« Last Edit: July 09, 2010, 08:51:48 am by VMX247 »
Best is in the West !!

All Things 414

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2010, 09:49:55 am »
He could do a second book just with "From the saddle" columns from over the years.
He did one once about a guy that goes to the doctor and is told he's only got a few months to live. The rest of the story goes onto about how he builds some super-trick Hagen framed thing (the details are a little foggy as I read it about thirty years ago), takes it out to the desert and has about an hour of the best riding of his life. Then he prceeds to ride it off a cliff. End of story.

I bought this story up with 'Hunky' at Broadford and he said to me that it's one of the most re-told stories that he'd written. An absolute gem!

Anyway I reckon' he could fill another book with that stuff...... :)

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2010, 11:43:25 am »
quote:test run for a HD in the 1960's
No f,,,n way.Cars stop for a Harley.You gotta have the right attitude when you ride on the street.Most people figure that if they hit you and don't kill you ,you'll rip their goddam heads off and  ..... their pets,so they tend to cut a wide berth.
Thankfully Rick purchased this further down the road. ;D

Best is in the West !!

TT

« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2010, 12:14:19 pm »
He could do a second book just with "From the saddle" columns from over the years.

He's got all his columns and a bunch of photos for sale on CD. It's even got the columns he wrote for other mags. Lots of reading there too.
I actually admitted to him once, that as a kid, I cut out all his columns and kept them in a scrap book....................  :-[

firko

« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2010, 01:21:20 pm »
Hunks my hero. His writing is great.....the best, but his 'stick it up 'em attitude is what seperates him from the rest. In a business where even the most outspoken writers eventually toe the advertiser line and soft cock their approach to bike tests, Hunky always called a spade a spade. If it was a piece of shit...he told you it was. Only Geoff Eldridge could come near Hunky for calling it as he saw it but even GE softened in his latter years, the power of the advertisers eventually winning over. Hunky however, maintained the rage.

I have even more respect for Rick (if that's possible) after overhearing a conversation between Hunky and a 'good 'ol boy' mate of mine at CD5 that actually changed my friends life in an amazingly positive way. I won't go into too many details of the conversation, only to say that it involved prostate cancer and the depression that often follows such an invasive operation. My mate had been battling post prostate depression pretty hard until fellow prostate survivor Hunky got into his ear with some simple but effective words of support that quite possibly saved my friends life. Today my anonymous mate is a very different guy to  the one he was, leading up to that chance meeting with Hunky at CD5.

Hunky's currently assisting me in some research for an upcoming article I'm doing
 for VMX. How cool is that, having the great Rick Sieman as a research assistant? ;D

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2010, 06:09:55 pm »
always wondered what my next tat was gonna be  :D   ;)

quote:We know of one old lady who had all of her old man's engine numbers (for the past 12 bikes) tattooed on her forearm.  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2010, 06:25:22 pm »
quote:We know of one old lady who had all of her old man's engine numbers (for the past 12 bikes) tattooed on her forearm.  ;D

Good grief there are some fools on this planet. Good thing they are marking themselves for easy identification…  :)
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2010, 06:52:40 pm »
Good grief there are some fools on this planet. Good thing they are marking themselves for easy identification…  :)

you really gotta get out more  ;)  :D  or get some of this in ya blood www.superhunky.com   ;D  ;D
cheers Alison
Best is in the West !!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2010, 07:10:22 pm »
you really gotta get out more  ;)  :D 

If that is gettin' out, then I am staying IN!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"