Author Topic: Preston Petty guards  (Read 7500 times)

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
Preston Petty guards
« on: August 14, 2010, 09:29:30 am »
Where can I get a Preston Petty rear enduro guard ( or copy ) with the taillight lens, Les Richters has them, but no lenses. ???
  In IT blue, of course  ;D ;D ;D

Roger

.........thats your cue, CG   ;)

IT400C

Re: Preston Petty guards
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2010, 11:25:10 am »
Hi Roger - Currently the only option you have (short of getting lucky and finding one on eBay) is to do what I did - DC Plastics rear guard, and get a replica lens from Strictly Hodaka.

http://strictlyhodaka.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SH&Product_Code=719453&Category_Code=Preston

Paul Stannard (Strictly Hodaka) has bought the rights to Preston Petty stuff from Preston Petty himself.  They are doing replica's of all the old stuff - I've got a Replica PP on the front of my IT.  They have the Enduro Rear Guards coming, but they're not quite ready yet. 

IT400C

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2010, 11:27:36 am »
I'll post some photo's later, but Strictly Hodaka's quality control is very good - they're putting the guards through weathering tests at the moment.

And their stuff is injection moulded, not vacuum formed.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2010, 11:32:41 am »
I have a NOS IT blue Tony D MX front but i reckon i would only swap it for a NOS White one. Genuine of course and not DC's. When i bought it i was hoping the bluw would be darker but its not so it looks like i need to paint a white one. May also consider swaping for NOS yellow drum brake fork guards in Stilmotor, TMV or UFO brand. the guards Les has are DC's and dont have the mounting points for the Lens'. i spoke to him about them ages ago. they also dont have any PP logos moulded in them.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 11:36:07 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

IT400C

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2010, 11:39:31 am »
Strictly Hodaka Headlight (white or yellow)

Tony D Front Guard replica (white, yellow or red - more colours coming)

Preton Petty taillight lense

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2010, 01:22:38 pm »
.........does anyone do the C model front one with the white extension ??

Roger

Offline YUMASTEPSIDE

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2010, 01:29:24 pm »
I'm not worried about not having the PP logo as long as it looks the same. I'm doing my IT400C up the same as the one that I had back in the '70s, PP rear guard, Bultaco snail adjustors, cut-out rear axle slots, shorten the seat 4" and fit a rear tool bag, centrestand and all the other odds and ends that we did to them back then.

Roger

IT400C

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2010, 02:54:44 pm »
.........does anyone do the C model front one with the white extension ??

Roger

I'm just running a DC Plastics IT Blue front guard with their white extension - not too bad (a little too short), and I'll probably keep using it on my ride bike.  I'm also running a DC rear guard - needed a little trimming, but it was ok.

The other option is this one from Yuni Parts on eBay

It's a perfect match for the shape of the front guard, but only available in white so far.  Good quality injection moulded plastic, with only a couple of small blemishes.  It would paint up very well, and you could then match it to the DC Fender extension...

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2010, 03:17:47 pm »
DC plastics has the C model font extension. I also saw another one on ebay the otherday so i will try and find it. At the time i thought i should put the link on here but then i thought no would be interested.

lucky this wasnt too hard to find again

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/NONFANGO-NOS-FRONT-FENDER-SPOILER-CLASSIC-VINTAGE-/330326152489?pt=Motorrad_Kraftradteile

« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 03:21:00 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2010, 06:29:35 pm »

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2010, 07:10:15 pm »
Is it possible to get that catalogue as a PDF download?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2010, 08:13:32 pm by LWC82PE »

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2010, 07:50:04 pm »
That guard extender looks shit.....it's not even close to the original....I dont understand why if they are going to copy something they do a shit job?....all praise for having a go but geez...even blind Freddy could tell it's not close....sorry if I sound too negative but I have just been through a 9 month wait for a part to get manufactured that I gave the manufacturer the original blue-prints for and they still f..ked it up....wasted theirs and my time....they would have made a good quid out of it and now they get nothing....f..kwits. ???
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2010, 08:03:09 pm »
The one i pictured above is a period aftermarket NOS late 70's 'Nonfango' brand extender. I dont believe it is intended to be a replica of the Yamaha one. I have seen these on bikes in European magazines from around 1976 onwards. I just posted it as it is 'similar' to the Yamaha one and may be good enough for some people. I cant really coment on DC's version which is ment to be  and is sold as a replica of the Yamaha extender but knowing DC's other products i assume it will be average at best. So i hope that clears that up for people.

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2010, 08:06:15 pm »
Still looks shit nomatter what it's for.
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

IT400C

« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2010, 08:10:53 pm »
I cant really coment on DC's version which is ment to be  and is sold as a replica of the Yamaha extender but knowing DC's other products i assume it will be average at best. So i hope that clears that up for people.

I've got the DC front guard and extender on my IT400C (the rider, not the show pony) and actually I consider their Yamaha Guard extender probably one of their best products - Shiny White, decently sharp edges...  The only problem is that it's about 25mm too short (not out the front, but back towards the steering head.)

I think they cut them a little shorter just to suit their slightly too short front guards....

I would order one again from them for racing use (to save my NOS ones), but I would ask them to leave the extra inch on the back....   ;D