Author Topic: 1971 MX on the telly.  (Read 3152 times)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
1971 MX on the telly.
« on: January 05, 2008, 02:06:10 am »
The things you bump into whilst flicking channels on the telly...
On ABC 2 'Late Night Legends' I just caught 30 minutes of the 1971 Australian Scrambles Championship from Clarendon in South Australia :o !!

When I flicked on we had beautiful old black and white footage of the Junior Sidecar race; matching footy jerseys and Jofa mouthguards being the cutting edge fashion.
The solo race was the 500cc Championship round.
New Zealands Ivan Miller (Husky 396) won the race followed by Gary Flood, Randy Owen from the UK and Dave Basham (spelling?) on a CZ.
The commentary was typical ABC of the era and not unlike listening to the Cricket (and now... stepping up to the crease we have... Don Bradman.)

Here's a question for the veterans of that era; do you recall the yellow flag indicating one lap to go?
The yellow flag appeared in both races with one lap to go and this was the observation of the Commentator.
I happened to notice an outfit lying on its back and the passenger retrieving the chain from further afield.
Is this co-incidence or was the yellow flag used for 'last lap' prior to it being a warning/slow down indicator?
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline paul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 1971 MX on the telly.
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2008, 11:40:07 am »
channel 2 will probably give you a copy or it will be on dvd

firko

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2008, 11:51:52 am »
That's a great piece of historical telly Wombat. You can tell it's the summer season when the channels are repeating all sorts of stuff. That coverage was shown a few months ago along with coverage of the 1971 Aussie Trials Championship from W.A. The trials stuff was hilarious, showing blokes on Sherpa T's and Cotas negotiating obstacles you could do today on your Chonda 50 pit bike. Still, that's how it was. I was racing back then but my brain cell count is vastly diminished . However, I vaguely remember the yellow flag indicating one lap to go in the early days. 

Offline Maicojames

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2008, 02:13:34 pm »
Firko, we don't get any of that here,,,very glad to have the MX files on Speed, but that's about four episodes a year-and they are repeated only twice or so. don't get me wrong, I am glad they put the effort into making the MX files-have met some who produce them too..I just want more vintage Mx Tv, and less Nascrap, Doo-diddy rap star cars, and choppers..
I guess in comparision VMX shows have little audience( and therfore sponsor $) draw. Too Bad.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2008, 02:48:11 pm by Maicojames »
Life is suddenly very Monaro

Maico31

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2008, 02:30:06 pm »
James i've bought a few good DVD's from the states lately that are of the early motocross years, guess you've probably seen them. 'One Chance To Win', and 'Yamaha GP', also a Honda one with '79 World Championships and '82 Daytona Supercross and another of a '76 Trans AMA. All good viewing. Too bad i haven't seen any of the early mx days in Australia.

firko

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2008, 02:39:19 pm »
James, it's a one off here too. I'd be certain you have more motocross history on tv than us.The MXFiles series is brilliant . I have all or most of them on DVD. I gained a new respect for Bob Hannah after seeing his interview and found Jimmy Weinert a scream. I reckon we need something along those lines featuring our famous racers. I'd love to interview Gally, Jeff Leisk and many more on film in the same format as Motocross Files. I reckon it's almost an essential in the compilation of our sports history. It was a shame when the great Roy East died before I could get together with him for the big interview we had been discussing for years. I'd hate to lose any more greats before their stories are down on paper or on film or tape.

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2008, 03:18:26 pm »
good point, it would be nice if the VMX guys could interview the likes of Ray Fisher, Geoff Taylor, etc. i have suggested this on the VMX web site but i suppose it is of little interest to the reader outside of OZ.
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Offline Wombat

• Legend
  • Gold Coast hinterland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2008, 03:44:42 pm »
Firko, the 'MX files series on DVD'; pls advise where can I find these?
Terry Goodes mxworksbike site from the USA has a few DVD's - and his links to Bob Hannah and Marty Smiths sites look promising as a well.

I reckon you're right about needing to capture this history on film.
Given the momentum of the sport right now, perhaps our past MX greats could be persuaded to make an effort for DVD's.
Look at all the Cricket books - every Player releases one whilst he's in the Test side or just as he retires.
That's marketing for you; make some money whilst the interest is there.
There's a VMX market out there and they'd be wise to 'ride the wave' whilst there's momentum...
"Whadaya mean it's too loud?! It's a f*ckin' race bike!! That pipe makes it go louder - and look faster!!"

Offline KB171

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2008, 05:58:10 pm »
The 1978 aussie MX titles dvd roger harvey sells is worth a look.   Dont spose anyone can do a copy of the 1971 stuff for us, I'd love to see that? Cheers