Author Topic: Trading Post 1973 MX360/RT2MX  (Read 3543 times)

mx250

Trading Post 1973 MX360/RT2MX
« on: July 26, 2010, 08:38:14 pm »
http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Motorbikes-ATVs/Motorbikes/AdNumber=D699400511049?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

It's nice, it's pretty rare, but I don't know if it's worth $5000.

But it's a dealer, I'm sure you could haggle if you want it.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
Re: Trading Post 1973 MX360/RT2MX
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 09:06:09 pm »
Good post,  might look at this tomorrow if I am going past...

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 09:36:14 pm »
that is a 250, not a 360.

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 09:37:15 pm »
I was gunna say - might be a good price for a 360?
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

SAABCOMBI

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 09:54:47 pm »
wrong colour scheme. if its a 360 the stripe should be black. in 1972 l raced a 250, same as the one in the photo.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 09:58:18 pm by DAVID#46 »

firko

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 11:04:49 pm »
If 5k is out of your reach, my basket case DT2MX is for sale with a fairly complete spare DT2 enduro (also a basket), spare tank,usable spare 'guards, spare pipe. $1600.
Despite it's less than pristine appearance, it's actually quite a sturdy and reasonably complete bike. This model is rarer than the YZ250A believe it or not.

« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 11:07:30 pm by firko »

TT

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 09:19:44 am »
I mulled over the idea of buying Firko's DTMX myself. Very cool and very rare. But passed it over for a Cagiva but that fell through anyway.  ::)

I'd still love to own it, but I've got way too much on my plate right now.

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 12:16:16 pm »
Dear Forum

I have been to see the guy about this bike.  It's not for sale.  Last time offered was about 18+ months ago and he has decided to keep it a long time back. 

So I am guessing this could be either a Trading Post error or a Phishing Scam.  Please be careful when clicking around the page.  VMX250,  would you consider deleting the URL on this post,  just to be on the safe side?   The ad end time of 2020 also tells me something may be awry.

If you must have a look and have IE8,  the press <CTRL> <Shift> <P>  to open up a private browsing session,  then copy and paste the URL into the address bar.  I use this tip for all my banking and secure online needs nowadays.

http://www.tradingpost.com.au/Automotive/Motorbikes-ATVs/Motorbikes/AdNumber=D699400511049?BackToResult=true&AdOnTop=

It's nice, it's pretty rare, but I don't know if it's worth $5000.

But it's a dealer, I'm sure you could haggle if you want it.

firko

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 12:19:41 pm »
I've got way too much on my plate right now.
Yeah, not a worry Tony. I know the problem, hence me selling the DT2MX and a few more bikes over the next few weeks.
I've purchased another Hindall so to make room and more importantly raise a quid to pay for it, some things just have to go.
For those who don't know, I recently imported the bike from the USA where it had sat for god knows how long in a desert environment in the Bakersfield, California area. The bike is obviously a tad weather beaten but the rust is all of the surface variety, there's nothing suffering with terminal rust barring maybe the seat base. The mudcatcher rims are straight and devoid of any major rock rash, the forks will need rechroming but you may be lucky finding a good set of tubes off any of the early 34mm Yamaha forks. The tank is pretty good inside and the spare tank that comes with it is also pretty good despite an epoxy repair that can be repaired properly if you're keen enough. The seat is visually the worst item, the base is rusty but repairable and new foams can be found on eBay. I'll include a new repro seat cover with the bike.

The engine is locked from sitting but should free it up fairly easily. I've filled the bore with brake fluid and I'll hopefully have it freed up before it leaves here. The reed block and carby are missing but the spare DT engine has its reeds and I'll throw in a 34mm Mikuni carb. All of the rare 'no name' cases are intact and undamaged. Other than what I've mentioned, I know nothing more about the engine so factor in a ground up engine build into the work needed. There is a spare pipe. The extra DT engine is free has plenty of compression.

The DT2MX model is getting extremely rare and are historically very important in that they were the first purpose built production Yamaha motocrosser. They are visually a beautiful bike and despite handling like Nanas walking frame, were pretty quick. They can be modified for well over 40hp and in the old days weren't that much slower than the follow up MX250, (if at all).

The $1600 price is pretty much what the bike owes me without the DT250 and the spares so don't think I'm going into a bidding war over the price. It is what it is. If I don't sell it, I may break it up and use the parts in one of my Hindall or Rickman frames. The bike's really too good to break up and I'd prefer to see it restored but I'm not precious about it.

PM me if you're interested....................cheers, Mark.

firko

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »
So I am guessing this could be either a Trading Post error or a Phishing Scam.  Please be careful when clicking around the page.  VMX250,  would you consider deleting the URL on this post,  just to be on the safe side?   The ad end time of 2020 also tells me something may be awry.
Something didn't ring true with the photo, and it's just dawned on me that the photo appears to be of a toy model, not a full sized bike. Look at the spokes, in full scale they'd be a quarter inch thick! If I'm wrong, it's a Yamaha house photo and not of the bike in question so why wouldn't the seller use a shot of the actual bike. Yep.....Phishing alert for sure, don't open it. Buy mine instead!
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 01:29:47 pm by firko »

Offline MX?

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Classic Bike Forum
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:27 pm »
If you must have a look and have IE8,  the press <CTRL> <Shift> <P>  to open up a private browsing session,
Didn't even know about this. ::) How helpful is it?

Offline BJJ

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
    • Remote PC
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:57 pm »
The tip itself is very helpful.  The session itself will not record any cookies or information and purge all info when you close the session.  Test it by voting as much as you like; say for instance on the www.ninemsn.com.au home page.