Author Topic: WR to CR transmission change  (Read 1393 times)

Offline Gippslander

• A-Grade
  • Google "Ancient Greek Sculpture for Kids" 2C more
    • View Profile
WR to CR transmission change
« on: July 27, 2010, 02:51:46 am »
Hi, apart from the usual small/service parts what is needed to change a WR 430 gear box over to a CR 430? Is it just the lay and main shaft and the gears? Or anything else?
And -- is the porting the same for a CR and a WR? And that leads on to -- if you have a WR motor with CR ratios will it be a stuff up mismatch?
And -- almost forgot -- is the frame geometry suspension the same for the WR and the CR?
Thanks

Offline Stevo17

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
Re: WR to CR transmission change
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 08:43:20 am »
Hi, I have actually put a 250WR transmission into a 430CR motor and it worked beautifully. It was a few years ago and I could not get the 430 gears which had been smashed to bits - so my only option was to put in another complete tranny. I changed both shafts, complete with the gears and the primary drive gear on the end of the crank.  From memory the only difference between the 250WR and 430CR tranny was that 6th is not as tall on the 250WR.  Not sure about the 430WR gearing.  The 250WR gearing was beautiful on the 430.  I think the cylinders are same on the the 430WR and CR - but dont hold me to it.  Hope this helps. Stevo

Offline bigk

• Legend
  • Kangaroo Flat Victoria
    • View Profile
Re: WR to CR transmission change
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 08:56:51 am »
Gearboxes can be changed/swapped no problems, just check & double check before final assembly. OR's (optional ratio) are in fact a mix of WR/CR ratio's. Cylinders are slightly different but can be interchanged, suspension on CR/XC looks the same, but WR is shorter with different valving. WR's are nice & easy to ride with smooth torquey power, a genuine CR is a bit toey with the very small internal rotor ignition and a XC is a basically a WR spec engine & chassis, with CR suspension. My XC430 has the first 4 gears from the CR & the last 2 from the WR, in effect an OR. Any or all are great bikes and generally easy to live with. Got a tidy '82 WR430 if you're looking.
Cheers,
K