Author Topic: painting plastic tanks  (Read 7365 times)

Offline Rossvickicampbell

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: painting plastic tanks
« Reply #15 on: July 17, 2010, 11:54:37 pm »
he liner I was talking about - haven't used it myself but have heard.......................

http://www.blulightning.com/category/paints/
1974 Yamaha YZ360B
1980 Honda CR250R - Moto X Fox Replica

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2010, 11:56:12 pm »
CAPS - I will need to do a dig around but one of the VMX websites in the States is starting to make Replica works tanks - saw an RH one I think it was that look the goods - they weren't cheap at about $1200USD a tank but if I can find it again I will let you know.

cheers

Rossco
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2010, 12:03:40 am »
CAPS - not the one I was thinking of - still looking - but this guys stuff looks awesome and here is an RC500 tank - lot cheaper than I saw also  ;D

http://klpracing.com/id3.html
1974 Yamaha YZ360B

Offline caps 999

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2010, 12:04:02 am »
thanks mate
MUGEN power

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2010, 01:49:58 am »
Im not 100% sure but i think this may be the site i was thinking of.
http://www.mxrestoration.com/plasticgastanks.html
« Last Edit: July 18, 2010, 01:52:03 am by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline lukeb1961

• Legend
  • PE175N, RM80B, JR50C
    • View Profile
    • PE175N
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2010, 04:30:14 am »
he liner I was talking about - haven't used it myself but have heard.......................

http://www.blulightning.com/category/paints/
I used Blue Lightning liner on the inside of my PE175N tank with success. The endless headaches with sticker bubbling  have virtually disappeared. (ie a tiny lift after 2 years). It may allow you to paint the tank - but don't bet the house on that paint staying on forever. Worth getting it and trying though.

Luke

Offline retrowrex

• Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2010, 05:49:34 am »
Talked to a fellow a little while ago who reckons he knows the secret.  Before painting and after all the prepping and cleaning he says to sear it with a flame.  Closes and seals all the open pores apparenlty. Sort of makes a little sense. If I was to try this I would fill the tank with water first though.  I hold little confidence that this would work. The fellow who told me this seems pretty cluey but a lot of his tales start with "Once upon a time"

Retro
Apparently you can only ride one bike at a time, and hence you should only have one bike.  :(

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2010, 09:20:18 am »
His name wouldnt be Obamma would it? ;D
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2010, 10:47:16 am »
Capps,

Not sure what tank you are trying to colour or it's application (garage queen or racer), but have you considered a perferated sticker kit for it, just get an extra couple of perferated sheets in the colour you want and fill in the gaps on the tank with that. I'd say i'd be far more durable on a race bike and any further than a meter away you wouldn't know the difference.
I've done it in the past and on a race bike looks fine.

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2010, 06:51:31 pm »
I spoke to the rep from MCS and the product they sell sticks to plastic. He knows this first hand as he has a Maico 490 that he applied it to so his stickers would not bubble off. It was done a few years ago and still good.

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2010, 08:22:24 pm »
Interesting. I spoke to the MCS rep too some time ago and the stuff they sell now is basically POR 15. I cant exactly remember what happed but something happened when another wholesaler took over over POR 15 when MCS had the rights or something like that which upset MCS. Then another Australian company basically started up and copied the POR 15 and its pretty much the same stuff just in different packaging and this is what MCS sells now. Also some time ago I asked POR 15 or the company that makes the stuff MSC sells and they said its not designed for plastic tanks and most likey not work. Its was also that same time that they said if you want to remove it from a tank that its almost impossible. They even sold me therir 'special' stripper thats kinda ment to disolve it. Well after several weeks, it had barely softened it. A few months ago i had to fix another POR 15 disaster. The guy couldnt work out why his bike kept stalling and thought it was 'fuel related' I took the fuel taps out and the tap filters were 95% blocked with POR 15 tank liner. I said you have to be very thorough with the cleaning process and fitting of the POR 15 as its an air dry product. He said he did all that and said tank was spotles before fitting it. I could see rust and gunk like stale fuel clumps under the liner lifting it up. I dont know why he fitted it any way as there was no need. the tank had no pin holes. Anyway, the only way i could even half get this liner out was to fill tank with water and an ice cream pot full of stones, seal it all up, wrap the tank up to protect it and then place it in a cement mixer to get the stones to make the liner come loose. Probably had it in the mixer for 6 hours over a couple days. Also had to scratch around inside with a stick to try and get the silvery stuff out and blast out with water. After that it had a good soak in acid. It certainly doesnt take an hour to remove. So i would say be very careful with POR 15 or the MCS liner and ask your self if you really want go tackle the hard job of trying to remove it it fails and lifts/bubbles. Most of the other liners like Kreem and Red, White, Blue come out real easy. It would be interesting to know if the maico guy fitted it to a brand new tank or a used tank and if he leaves fuel in there or drains it after each ride.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 08:39:09 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline brebel

• C-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2010, 08:33:50 am »
This is the link I was thinking about
http://www.capturetheaction.co.uk/CCM/CCM3.htm
I love those Rotax engines ;D

Offline TonyB

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2010, 09:43:53 am »
I know this aint got anything to do with paint but that link made me sit up ...The angle of that shock interests me, i recon that would be a shit hot rear end, really soft initialy and then getting harder as the angle decreased, mmmm I was also looking at the yz twin shock conversion and the guy who makes swing arms and thinking if i can get the 81 yz rear end modified to something amazing...
'Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,totally worn out, shouting,  ' Holy sh!t... What a Ride!! ' '