Author Topic: Fibreglass resin  (Read 2911 times)

montynut

Fibreglass resin
« on: July 11, 2010, 05:47:17 pm »
I know this would have been discussed before but tried all the search parameters I can think of.

I want to repair a fibreglass tank by relining it (not using a tank liner product). What type of resin should be used which is OK with the modern fuels? Polyester resin? Vinylester resin?

The other property required is good bonding to old Spanish fibreglass.

Where can I get a relatively small quanity in the Hunter Valley NSW

Offline hitatreeonce

• A-Grade
  • rather be an old fart than a young dickhead
    • View Profile
Re: Fibreglass resin
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2010, 06:26:53 pm »
My sugestion would be vinyl ester if you must but a por tank liner works alot better just dont use the metal etcher. If you using vinyl ester make sure the tank is cleaned well and I mean well!

montynut

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2010, 06:40:16 pm »
Actually have the tank apart  :o as there has been multiple attempts at sealing by previous owners and myself. I removed all the junk from inside. About 800g

Attempt 1 - arildite

Attempt 2 - creme

Attempt 3 - coating of resin

My attempt - KBS

all naturally failed. Now that I have it back to original fibreglass I will repair some damaged areas by removing and replaceing material then sand the interior to remove all traces of everything and give a good keying surface.

I then intend to coat the interior with one coat of resin/fabric sand again then reassemble the tank. Once reassmbled I will then put a tank sealer in.

Just want to use the most suitable resin. Hopefully I will then have a usable race tank.

If not I will jump on it and hurl over a cliff

Offline LWC82PE

• Superstar
    • View Profile
    • PE motorcycles & SuzukiTS.com
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2010, 06:42:51 pm »
For lining a fibre glass tank i use and would recommend the RED, WHITE, BLUE tank lining kit. Its is a 2 part epoxy which means it properly sets/harderns (drys) and you wont be left with soft pools that never dry properly and then start to peel off the inside like non epoxy liners. The R,W, B liner is recommended for Fiberglass tanks and is made in Tasmania. The key to sucess with any liner kit is the preparation.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2010, 06:53:36 pm by LWC82PE »
Wanted - 1978 TS185 frame or frame&motor. Frame # TS1852-24007 up to TS1852-39022

Offline Mike52

• Legend
  • 81 KTM 125 LC
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2010, 06:44:54 pm »
I have used AIRCRAFT TANK SEALENT purchased from a workshop at an airfield.
Used it on a plastic tank I had cut bits out of.
Worked very well. :)
2 part rubbery stuff .Cost heaps.
85/400WR,86/240WR,72/DKW125,Pe250c,TC90,TS100,XT250,86/SRX250,XR400r
Friend  struggling up a hill on a old bike at MTMee .http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjj6E2MP9xU.

Offline jimg1au

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2010, 06:46:59 pm »
speak to match mick he can mould your old tank and make you a new one
he is near you and thats his job classic fiberglass
jim

Offline Moto

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2010, 06:49:27 pm »
Monty,
         There is a shop in Broadmeadow behind the International Sports Centre.(will be in the phone book)
         They sell all the necessary fibreglass materials.talk to them as to the best resin. 

Offline Freakshow

• Superstar
  • Adelaide, SA - looking for a "YZA" tank
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2010, 07:06:49 pm »
i just lined 3 glass tanks that were weeping with POR, so far has worked a treat, next test is will it last methonal :O)
74 Yamaha YZ's - 75 Yamaha YZ's
74 Yamaha  flattracker's
70  Jawa 2 valve speedway's

For sale -  PRE 75 Yamaha MX stuff, frame, motors and parts also some YAM DT1,2,A and Suzi TS bikes and stuff

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2010, 07:57:25 am »
vinyl ester is the only resin that is properly resistant to petrol. if there any old oil/dirt etc you wont get a good bond..you need to add wax to to the resin if you want a truely non sticky finish..but if you sand and clean the resin back after patching it will still be slightly sticky anyay.
You can do your rrepair with vinyl ester where its in contact with petrol, tidy it up then  standard flo coat on top (has wax) , rub that back, then paint or whatever your final finish is . Use more catalyst in this cold weather (2 - 2.2%)or use a heat lamp where you are working...

montynut

« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 10:27:15 pm »
Thanks sa63,
     That's the type of info I needed. When you say add wax to the vinylester resin what do you mean? On the inside of the tank should I add wax to the rein?

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 08:36:15 pm »
When you buy the resin it will be unwaxed. You can ask for wax (styrene) to be added . This will cure non sticky. If you want to put further layers / flocoat etc on top you MUST as a minimum give it a good clean with acetone , preferably sand it + acetone. If you touch it after this it will feel slightly sticky, which is good for bonding the next layer. If you want to be anal, bear in mind the fingers secrete oil so wipe it again with acetone! Have a chat with the supplier!

And for the last bit of useless information... -If you like drinking (non top shelf)wine and beer to I suppose  its very likely its come out of a fibreglass tank lined with vinyl ester resin (with styrene), post cured  at 80 - 90 degrees for 6 hours to get rid of volatiles and esters which dont do much for taste.. so put it out in the sun..!! Its the only resin that is food grade..

Offline sa63

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 08:41:30 pm »
MMM. crapping on there.on that last post. the wax will rise to any surface. So if you have a hole in the tank the wax will rise to the top. The performance of the resin will be ok unwaxed, just depends on what you are trying to achieve. Unwaxed resin exposed to petrol should be fine depends what external finish you require.