Author Topic: DR350 gearbox  (Read 1972 times)

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
DR350 gearbox
« on: July 05, 2010, 12:27:57 pm »
Gidday punters, I have an early DR350 that I picked up to trailride with my boy on his XR200. Loverly motor but the first time I went out it jumped out of top. The further I went,the more neutrals I found until I had one each side of every gear and several in other places I can't even think of.
After making it homeI lent it next to the shed to idle the fuel out of the bowl when it found a gear all by itself and almost looped before coming to rest in a heap!
We pulled the motor out and pulled it down only to find nothing much out of the ordinary. Sent it to a shop where they agreed and reassembled it and we put it back in the frame to now find we had 1st and 2nd but not be able to shift any higher.
Out it comes again and this time it goes to a guy that "has had 3 of them and knows them inside out"
He reassembles it after a full inspection and shows me we have all gears on the bench by spinning the primary sprocket and shift all the way from 1st to top.
Back in the frame and it's back to 1st and 2nd only again-what gives?? is the mounting into the frams squeezing something that will stop it shifting?
It's driving me crazy as it takes ages to put it in and take out each time-it's a very close fit-give me a casette box anytime
Anybody heard of this before?? Any tips greatfully received.

oldfart

Re: DR350 gearbox
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2010, 01:11:27 pm »
Take the bolt out that has spring and plunger in bottom of cases.... selector detent thingy  ( oil will drain out ) now see it selects all gears.   Or your gasket paper is too thin and gears are binding.

Offline matcho mick

• Legend
    • View Profile
    • Moto Tumbi
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2010, 02:26:12 pm »
oldfart,monies on the detent went in the last oilchange ;), :P
work,the curse of the racing class!!
if a hammer dosn't fix it,you have a electrical problem!!

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2010, 05:32:31 pm »
Yeah, I don't recall having ever seen a detent-will have to take another look.
Are the tolerances that close that the gaskets become an issue-jeez, give me the XS650 anyday!

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2010, 05:50:10 pm »

17, 18, 19 and 20
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2010, 10:38:05 am »
The detent looks like its on the end of the sump plug.

Offline EML

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:48 pm »
Well I'll be blowed-put a new gasket into the DR350 and she's fixed. I can't believe that the tolerances are that close-or rather need to be. I 'spose I'm used to working on tractor boxes like the Nortons AMC and the XS650 unit.
Cheers fellas, thanks for your help.

oldfart

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2010, 04:51:42 pm »
Good to hear it's all sorted.