Author Topic: Hello from Mackay  (Read 4512 times)

Craig72

Hello from Mackay
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:29:36 pm »
Hi guys.

Just became a member here and thought I should pop in and say hi.

I currently do not own a VMX bike but am keen to get up to speed on my knowledge of them before getting one, so where better to learn than here! Expect me to ask some really dumb questions fellas!

I'm in my late 30s so started riding as a kid at 8, around about the time that the Evo bikes were making an appearance. Thats where my interest in VMX/Vinduro lies, as a lot of my dream bikes came out around that time. So I am going to be chasing something around that age, probably Jap stuff.

I currently own a 2009 model road bike but with a young family and currently living one wage while juggling the mortgage and the nappy bills ( 2 kids under 2 makes for a decent nappy bill),  I am finding it difficult to justify the rego and insurance costs when I don't get the time to ride as much as I once did.  I reckon that this would be a great outlet for my passion for 2 wheels, while also being something that the whole family can enjoy down the track. I can also now afford to potentially buy one of my dream bikes from that era, unlike when I was a kid getting around on my MX80 or DT100.

I look forward to reading what you guys have to say and maybe even meet one or two of you one day.

Cheers,

Craig.

albrid-3

Re: Hello from Mackay
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 10:42:46 pm »
Welcome Graig 72, to vintage movement once hooked you will never ever leave.

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 06:03:18 am »
Hey Graig 72. Welcome aboard I live down the road in Rockhampton and know most of the VMX blokes up that way. Will be up thay way in June for the Whitsunday Classic week-end in Prossie. Hope to catch with you. Darcy
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning

Craig72

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 10:57:12 am »
Thanks guys.

Glad you know the VMX guys here in town Darcy. I don't know anyone in Mackay into VMX yet, although I'm sure I will come across them at some stage  ;D
« Last Edit: March 12, 2010, 10:58:54 am by Craig72 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2010, 04:19:33 pm »
Thanks guys.

Glad you know the VMX guys here in town Darcy. I don't know anyone in Mackay into VMX yet, although I'm sure I will come across them at some stage  ;D

Kane and Rosco86 --- on this forum maybe able to help you out with VMX contacts in your area.
cheers
Best is in the West !!

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2010, 05:15:21 pm »
G'day Craig
I have just left Mackay after 10 years (now residing in sunny Brisbane?), there is a good nucleus of blokes around, but mainly Prossy based. Russell Ironside and John (Toby) Robertson (RACQ Mechanicals), Ron Draper (Draper Panel Repairs) and the Senator Ronnie Single are the backbone of the VMX around your area although Prossy based.  There are a few who have bikes but no longer race such as Phil Wilson at Northside Wreckers. Forget the gentlemans name but he is President of the Eastern Swans AFL and one of the boys from the British Bike Club who has retsored a lovely Greeves and a c15 250 BSA. Normally there is a "Classics" class at Gum Valey MX, John Hand is a great bloke to contact there as he owns the place. Mackay MCC and PVEC were vintage friendly but have changed direction since Billy Frier was Club President. Mick Hansen and Steven Dinsdale are very Vintage friendly as is John Hand and happy to include VMX if they are running the show. Darcy obviously is a top bloke as he has maicos, but never lend him your clutch plates. (in joke there. Darc leave on the front porch and I will pick them up on my way through some time) Hope that hepls with some contacts.  To keep VMX going in NQ we need blokes to stick up their hands and say we will be there. Hope things go well. PM me if you need contact numbers.
Rosco 86

Offline mike1948

• A-Grade
  • Margate, QLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2010, 06:38:31 pm »
Welcome to VMX, Craig.

I moved from Mackay to Brisbane a year ago.  The VMX scene in Mackay region is pretty well controlled by the Whitsunday motorcycle club.  The people to contact are Russell Ironside - 0419748241(if he hasn't gone to WA), Ron Draper - 0417745781, or contact Mark & Bernie Elliott in Moranbah - they are all nice people - but if you tell them I said that, I'll deny it! 
If you want to see a very nice 250 Greeves, visit Ken Cullen in Waverley st Bucasia, 0749 546138 - he also has a nice BSA, plus a shed full of honda bits.
If you ever get to ride John Hand's Gum Valley track, go for it!  It's the best MX track in Australia, used for one of the Nat title rounds, yet great for Vintage bikes as well.

Cheers, Mike

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2010, 11:24:35 pm »
Best Wish's for the approaching weather.  8)
Hope you've batten down the hatch's and stocked up on nappies  ;D
cheers
Best is in the West !!

DR

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2010, 08:50:14 am »
Hi Craig, my Granny (late) and my Mum were from Mackay .I also still have an Aunt living there ;) Since having a connection with the area for all my born natural, it's always been known to me and everyone else as Mac kay 8) These days it seems we've all been totally wrong and it's Mac ky. What's the word up there..is it kay or ky? ??? Welcome aboard too ;)

Offline Rosco86

• A-Grade
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
Doc
After 10 years there it seems if you are a longtimer its KAY, while newbies say KIE, I like to say you can swing both ways but thats fraught with danger. Daughter tells me lots of rain and wind in Mackay, power and water still out in many places (she's in Mt Pleasant)but mainly tree damage not structual to houses..
Rosco86

Craig72

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 10:33:24 pm »
Hey guys. Thanks for the warm welcome!

Well, since I last posted here I survived the cyclone and became a dad again! I now have a 1 week old girl that is baby sister to my 16 month old girl.

When I first posted here I said I had 2 kids. Only one had entered the world at that stage but number 2 was only days away so I just said 2! After all, I had already spent a fortune on nappies, change tables and cots for her so the cost was there before the baby arrived  ;D

Wife and newborn got home on Saturday morning. First night home was when the cyclone crossed the coast just up the road at prossi! We had no power until last night and only had phone lines coneccted this arvo. No damage though other than two trees down in the yard fortunately.

Busy week and a bit really. ;D

Thanks for the tips on who to contact Mike and Roscoe. I will make contact at some point with a few of these guys. I just need to sell my road bike to fund my VMX bike(s) first. Anyone want to buy a 2009 R1?  :D

I have contacted the secretary (at least I think it was the secretary) of the Gum Valley MX club and he tells me that there is a class for older bikes, but it doesn't sound like they have the numbers to run different classes at this point, so a late 60s bike could be racing against an '84 bike in the same race. Not really an issue though. Its not like anyone is racing for sheep stations apparently.

I also went out for a look at the Gum Valley track. It is in a poor state at the moment with all of the rain we have had causing a lot of errosion on the track,  but the layout definitely has some potential once it receives a little TLC, and it is in a lovely location too, so I can definitely see it would be a great place to ride.

I also contacted the Mackay and district club but they seemed to be oblivious to the whole VMX scene, which kind of suprises me as I would have thought that any new classes that would strengthen the club would be a good thing. In the southern states as well as around the SE QLD area it seems to be huge so there is potential there to grow. They just haven't tapped into it. Maybe I would be better off contacting the Prosi based guys.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2010, 10:41:09 pm by Craig72 »

Offline VMX247

• Megastar
  • Western Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 10:47:34 pm »
Oh Dad ---good on ya Dad  ;D  and the best girl award of course goes to Mum  :-*

quote:so a late 60s bike could be racing against an '84 bike in the same race. Not really an issue though. Its not like anyone is racing for sheep stations apparently.

Great news on a club level ,can get a few people coming over for a chat and as its been stated on this forum "from little things, big things grow" (Paul Kelly)  ;)  ;D
Whitsunday Classic is one to catch.  8) Proserpine June 19/20-plenty of rain, no shortage of water this year.  :P
cheers Alison West Aust
Best is in the West !!

hardhaacker

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2010, 10:32:40 pm »
Hi I'm going to be moving to Mackay next month and looking forward to getting back into the vmx scene, already have some contacts with some vintage minded people.
Are you going to cd7,if so can I catch up with you.

Craig72

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »
I am going to CD 7 but only as a spectator.

I wanted to go Saturday and Sunday but at this stage due to family commitments ( lots of family on the Sunny Coast who haven't met the latest addition so its catch up time on the Saturday) it looks like I will probably only get there Sunday.

I have no probs with catching up at CD7 but if you want to pick my brain about the local scene I am probably not the best guy to ask. Everything I know is in this thread! ;D

Offline dkupf

• A-Grade
  • Kinka Beach Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2010, 09:41:11 am »
Craig, Bring your riding gear I have a old 250 Maico you can have a burn around on if you want. Darcy #674
I might not be winning,But I'll be grinning