Author Topic: the Go Go show  (Read 2582 times)

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
the Go Go show
« on: May 29, 2010, 09:21:28 pm »
Now Anthony Gobert was a freaking legend and probably one of the best natural Aussie riders ever. Who else won national MX and AMA WSB champs.

Last I heard he was on charges for snatchin an old ladies hand bag and working at a Subway sandwich joint.
formerly Marc.com

Offline Davey Crocket

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: the Go Go show
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2010, 09:34:15 pm »
Yea, I agree....what a waste of a gifted talent for riding any kind of bike fast....
QVMX.....Australia's #1 VMX club......leading the way.

Offline VMX60

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2010, 09:47:31 pm »
What a talent watching the GO show win the world superbike round at Phillip Island back in 1996 throwing his leathers in to the crowd everyone thinking Australia next world champion
 :o So Sad to here that story

monaro308

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2010, 11:17:11 pm »
Holy cow was that 1996? I went to qualifying the day before...14 years seemed like yesterday!

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2010, 11:35:46 pm »
What a talent watching the GO show win the world superbike round at Phillip Island back in 1996 throwing his leathers in to the cr his tamen

Yeah I saw him cleaning up at Supercross in 1993....gone from cycle god to sandwich guy. I would have killed for his talent
formerly Marc.com

mainline

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2010, 07:52:57 am »
Sad I know, but I suppose on the positive side, if he's gone and gotten himself a job, that's a step up from where he's been recently

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2010, 09:31:56 am »
I don't know where Gobert is right now and what he is doing, I'll ask Chappo today but I doubt very much he is working at a Subway ???, His Mother still has some of his money  tied up for his future
« Last Edit: May 30, 2010, 12:43:18 pm by E74 »

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2010, 09:54:19 am »
I can't see Gobert working in Subway. I heard recently he was in a drug rehab centre and was not doing so well. I'm sure Chappo will know more.

Offline BAHNZY

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2010, 10:15:10 am »
Unfortunately he is not alone in the demographic group that he survives in. I guess you could add Ashkenazi and a couple of others. The one that got me more than most because it was close to home was Benny Coleman. I used to watch this kid tear up tracks (and Pro Riders) at will, yet the grog seemed to run his life. I did hear recently that he was now married with kids and his life back on track, mostly in part to his old man’s persistence.
Rod (BAHNZY) Bahn

Offline Stan S

• Legend
  • Ballarat Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2010, 10:42:42 am »
Why not leave the bloke alone ? Why spread more hearsay that perhaps is not even true? He is the master of his destiny and not us .  ;)

Well said Walter. Some of my most exciting race memories came from Anthony. e.g. his last meeting before he went to roadies at the Tennis centre (awesome) His debue ride on the Muzzy ZX7 at the Island after going there as a factory Honda Rider and changing camps at the meeting (awesome). His Muzzy ride the next year at the Island (awesome) Watching from turn one at the Island when he streeted the field on the Bimota (of all things) (awesome) and what about that poster doing a burnout on the Muzzy ZX7 (awesome) Let alone all the national MX and roadraces that he blitzed in (awesome).

Stan.

Offline E74

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2010, 12:47:48 pm »
Just got off the phone to Chappo, Anthony is not going so well at all like JohnnyO says.

2 years now in "Special Care" so all we can do is hope he can get better :(

Probably best just expessing good wishes to the man and not speculating on his wellbeing.

firko

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2010, 01:03:24 pm »
Another rider who let temptation overtake talent was Geoff Worrell who partnered Anthony Gunter at Suzuki in the mid 70s and was, when he was focused, the better of the two in my opinion. He sadly became a chronic alcoholic and died destitute and lonely a few years ago.

As far as Anthony Gobert, I sincerely hope he can eventually overpower the demons that control his life. Walter's right, he needs support not criticism. He is, along with Shawn Giles the most naturally talented racer I ever saw.

Offline JohnnyO

• Legend
  • Qld
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2010, 01:51:17 pm »
That is sad about Geoff Worrell. I got to know him quite well when he spent 1980 racing in Qld for Power Cycle City Suzuki and he really was a nice and very tallented guy.
We visited him a few years later in Wyong and took him riding at Jilliby and he really enjoyed it and talked about getting a bike again.

Gobert is easily the most talented Aussie i've seen, to win at motocross and road racing at the highest level is a great achievement.

Offline JC

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2010, 03:59:30 pm »
I saw Geoff Worrel race once- at Oz titles at Tivoli circa 76. He absolutely creamed the opposition on his RM370 for about 3 motos, until he tired. All the guns were there that day - Gall, Gunter, Floods etc.  They didn't get near him. I couldn't understand why he didn't get more of the press coverage

monaro308

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2010, 10:30:13 pm »
I hope Ant gets it together.
These were my 2 favourite pics i took from that sat qualifying.