Author Topic: ABC New Inventors - The D Drive CVT.  (Read 3876 times)

mx250

ABC New Inventors - The D Drive CVT.
« on: April 08, 2010, 01:56:09 pm »
Did anyone see this last night?

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/newinventors/txt/s2865950.htm

Anyone give me a clue how it works?

Claims 20% great efficiency!!!! Looks good but how does it work?

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ABC New Inventors - The D Drive CVT.
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2010, 03:54:47 pm »
Yeah I saw it. Big on claims, very short on detail.

Hope it works but I am not holding my breath. Time will tell.
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down hereā€¦

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2010, 04:26:39 pm »
OK How it works- power comes in one end and is transfered through to the other by some turning windy bits and power comes out the other.
Shit Graeme if we new that we would be on the inventors mate.
I said to the missus that he may be a bit late seeing as how all and sundry now have CVT in their range but the bit that got me was the '' no power loss through transmission" I don't know how that comes about.
Sure was interesting though and will be as keen as you to see inside it.
Will probably be snatched up by a multi national and will disappear down a mine shaft for 10 yrs then turn up under a French name 10 yrs after that touted as being the new best thing!!

mx250

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2010, 04:39:33 pm »
I wouldn't expect the inventor to be out in public with his idea if he didn't have it sown up by various legal means. Even so I wouldn't expect great detail but I couldn't even see a clue or hint of the mechanical principle/s the device espoused. Especially in face of the claims; no clutch, constant transmission, independent speed of the two shafts, completely stop one and not the other and even go into reverse without disengaging. Incredible claims, and to my obvious feeble mind, contradictory and impossible with a straight mechanical device.

Aunty is not pulling an April fools joke is she? Maybe someone is giving Aunty's leg a good solid tug ;D. Or maybe I'm just an old dumbarse ::).

Offline EML

• Legend
  • Ride the World before it Rides You
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2010, 05:06:09 pm »
It had a sort of planetary drive system at each end but how they transfered drive directiion was beyond me also.
It sure had the panel sparked up with that one guy saying his dad or granddad having said that this type of trans would be the HOLY GRAIL.
It would not only revolutionise motoring but industry as well I presume.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2010, 05:19:20 pm »
Normal CVT's work with 2  opposing cones and a belt connecting them they slide up and down the cones and vary the ratio that way. That system seems to be running off the inner ring gear and the outer gear at the same time. Looked like a very good system to me, being cheap to produce and assemble should make car manufacturers very interested.I think details were light for a good reason.
Scooters an Snowmobiles will probably be the first to use it if it's made under licence somewhere. 
Jesus only loves two strokes

oldfart

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2010, 05:19:57 pm »
ALL he has done is used the ole power gluide ( 2 speed auto )  planetary set up gear box.   The difference is that he uses two shafts.   Would love to put  400hp into it and see what happens to his drive plates ( crank arms )

mx250

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2010, 07:06:27 pm »
Oldie, Correct if I'm wrong but the power glide used a torque converter as a coupling didn't it. That would be a clutch effectively. This invention claims no need for a clutch. I would guess there is several different mechanisms within the trany.

I can see the planetary gears either end but I still can't see how this becomes the CVT ::) or achieves any of the other claims. I think the planetary gears are central to the device and the constantly variable nature but I'll be stuffed if I can see how they can connect and stop independently and even reverse without disengaging.

Lozza, The inventor claims the 20% increase in efficiency because of no lost to friction as with other CVT's.

oldfart

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2010, 07:34:58 pm »
Mx .   A torque convertor is a pump - this chap is using the same device  ..... crank handle to create momentum.    Check out how the waffle disc operates at speed ( RHS ) the faster it spins ( thru planetary drive )  it starightens up and selects next gear. The opposite works when it is slowed down.
I stand by my claim it will not handle big HP   

mx250

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2010, 12:36:29 pm »

...that makes it clearer. I was thinking the power was going side to side (planetary to planetary) although I was starting to think this must be the power transfer.

The Patent.

http://www.wipo.int/pctdb/en/wo.jsp?WO=2009039590

I've been told it's very similar to the Prius trany  :o ::) and several trans like winches.  Nothing new under the Sun ::) :P.

Offline Nathan S

• Superstar
  • HEAVEN #818
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2010, 01:20:37 am »
Prius' drive system is easily the most impressive aspect of a Prius' engineering - and its cleverness is electrical rather than mechanical.
Its the real reason why the Prius isn't worse on fuel than a straight petrol car with the same aerodynamic trickery.
The good thing about telling the truth is that you don't have to remember what you said.