Author Topic: Coil or CDI?  (Read 934 times)

newman

Coil or CDI?
« on: April 25, 2010, 05:16:56 pm »
This bike has given me nothing but trouble lately!  :(
The bike was running fine a few weeks ago bar a couple of mech problems, now she has no spark. I checked all the wiring and made sure nothing was loose. I took off the coil and cleaned the connections, tested and there is now a very weak (almost nothing), inconsistant spark.  I put a multimeter on the two spades on the coil and there is a connection, but I couldnt get a conection between the spades and the end of the spark lead...
When I rang Honda to order a new lead and coil, they told me nobody had ever ordered them before so it was unlikely that they were the problem. Am I the first ??? Or could it possibly be something else, like the CDI? 

I'm not a mechanic or a motorcycle electrician so it could be blatantly obvious as to what the problem is. 
Cheers, newman

Offline smed

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: Coil or CDI?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2010, 06:04:40 pm »
g,day Newman,what make & model are we talking?it could be a number of things,low speed windings often fail, you can test them with a multimeter if you know the specs,you can send all your electics to a rewinder such as small coil rewinds in geelong & they will test for you to diagnose the problem,in the meantime disconnect the killswitch & check & clean all conectors & earth wires,can you borrow coil & cdi off someone with the same bike? cheers Smed

newman

Re: Coil or CDI?
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010, 01:43:06 am »
Cheers Smed,
Its a '95 XR200.  Have Disconnected and cleaned all the connections including the kill switch but still no fire.  I dont know anyone else with the same bike so unfortunately I cant chop and change to diagnose the problem... Geelong is a bit far as I'm in brisvegas