Author Topic: 83 clutch cover repair  (Read 1656 times)

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
83 clutch cover repair
« on: April 16, 2010, 09:03:35 am »
   Hi guys ,just wondering if anybody has successfully repaired clutch cover leaking shafts on early 80's husky's i have 2 83's(both leaking) one's of which a mate has tryed to ream and sleeve but the ream blew off skew and took the inside edge off (bloody magnesium) and i've had to file out to maybe take a bigger sleeve with inside flange, any tips to help in above endeavour would be greatly appreciated, i like to get a couple of sets of those fancy uk reproductions one day ,bit exxy at the moment :)cheers
« Last Edit: April 16, 2010, 09:46:21 am by Huskibul »

Offline PEZBerq

• Legend
  • Brisbane
    • View Profile
Re: 83 clutch cover repair
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2010, 04:07:46 pm »
Is it the kick start of gear shift that is the problem?  I have used metal expoxy for minor repairs - sloppy fit that stops O rings sealing, scratches that leak past O ring.  Belzona Super Metal and the likes may also do the job and you can machine it as needed. Welding is possible but you need to degrease the magnesium and be extremely competent at welding magnesium.  Porosity is a problem even for the best welders.  Oil leaks are not too much of a drama - especially if you change the oil after every ride!  Good luck.
Husqvarnas: 78 390AMX, 82 430XC, 84 240WR, 84 500AE, 84 510TE, 87 510TE

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 83 clutch cover repair
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2010, 05:39:31 pm »
 Thanks pez ,yeah the 250 leaks like a sieve thru both gear and and kick, it's pitting and corrosion thats doing it maybe the the quickmetal would fix it tempararily but i would rather try to sleeve it or put a different seal setup or something along those lines to fix it properly,ive heard they all do it so surely someones done one succesfully,well the 430 is as i said in first post i need to put a bigger sleeve in it(repair) or ditch the idea and buy one of the HVA covers,as for the new oil every ride i would need share's in a texas oil field , we ride these bike's heaps having mx /grasstrack at home and a 16yr old son ;)