Author Topic: 20yrs of ABC Media Watch 8.30 tonight ABC 1  (Read 3401 times)

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
20yrs of ABC Media Watch 8.30 tonight ABC 1
« on: May 07, 2009, 09:21:35 am »
As the title suggests one of my favourite shows ABC's Media Watch has it's 20 highlight show on tonight. Should be a good laugh ;D
Jesus only loves two strokes

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: 20yrs of ABC Media Watch 8.30 tonight ABC 1
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 11:45:20 am »
Unless you work for Today Tonight, ACA, the Daily Telegraph or the Adelaide Advertiser… etc
VMX 42

P.S. and yes Elvis is alive, you can loose weight by drinking tea, Christopher Scase loves Australia and Alan Bond has his memory back. And lets not forget the worlds worst neighbours and fat celebrities. Gotta love it - now that is journalism!!
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 12:53:04 pm »
It's "something no parent can afford to miss, how a shonky builder, who's wife is on the dole and pole dancer at night, is spreading germs that making aussie kids sick" or the "exclusive interview with the gansters wife as who went undercover,lifts the lid on the secret that big business is making or kids fat"
Maybe tomorrows headline will be
MP PROBED OVER SEX ROMP TAPE or SNUBBED MP AXED AFTER RORTS PROBE

mainline

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2009, 04:51:09 pm »
good stuff wasn't it.

My favorite has always been the Ch7 dweeb who filmed himself in Barcelona and tried to pretend he was on Majorca hunting Skase.

Offline vmx42

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2009, 06:19:59 pm »
2 things really stood out for me:

Firstly that scene with John Saffron and one of the Paxton kiddies outside Ray Martins house. If Martin had come down and just joined in the joke he wouldn't have appeared to be such a complete f$&kwit. I am sure if it was Tom [our Tom] Cruize it would have been a different story and a much bigger [fake] smile. Mike Moore would have laughed!!!

Secondly, It really stood out that the journos don't have much of a sense of humour or fair play. If they just acknowledged that they had been sprung and said 'fair cop' it would all go away without much fuss. Instead they want to punch on [from the safety of the studio] and try to get 'holier than thou'. Let's face it any of Murdochs crew crowing on about 'journalism' is a bit like a league player saying it wasn't me that spread shit on that hotel room.

And John Laws and Jonesy are just classics. Don't know how they sleep at night - probably snuggled up with all that cash.

Anybody that tries to keep the bastards honest is AOK by me. Gotta love it.
VMX42
When a woman says "What?", it's not because she didn't hear you, she's giving you the chance to chance to change what you said.

Beam me up Scotty, no intelligent life down here…

"everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not to their own facts"

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2010, 10:48:28 pm »
I may well have had an ambition of mine fullfilled today. I fired off an email to Media Watch about the media's incredibly gun shy attitude to pronouncing Eyjafjallajokull instead it was continualy refered to as 'the Icelandic volcano' ;D Was the lead story tonight.

A side note HERE is some pretty amazing pics of the eruption. It seems to have some sort of St Elmo's fire in the cloud. 

Offline Graeme M

• Administrator
  • Legend
  • Canberra, Australia
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 06:23:31 am »
Saw that! I enjoyed the 'expose' of how those that did try ended up pronouncing it. Thanks for that, I got a good laugh out of it.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 07:59:55 am by Graeme M »

All Things 414

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2010, 07:04:12 am »
All teenagers (and a few older people) should be made to sit down and watch every episode of "Frontline".

On reflection however I don't think a lot of them would 'get it'...... :( ::)

monaro308

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2010, 09:27:44 am »
All teenagers (and a few older people) should be made to sit down and watch every episode of "Frontline".

On reflection however I don't think a lot of them would 'get it'...... :( ::)

Is that  "Frontline" made by Rob,Santo,Jane from the Degeneration clan?
I loved that show and i have never looked at all the "current affairs" type shows the same again.
Every segment makes me think a payment has been made to spice it up.

firko

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2010, 10:42:41 am »

On reflection however I don't think a lot of them would 'get it'...... 
Damn.....I hate it when we agree on shit. Frontline and the Olympics thing they did with John Clarke was brilliant satire that was frighteningly close to the truth. Youre right, todays kiddies wouldn't see the irony in either show.
My favorite has always been the Ch7 dweeb who filmed himself in Barcelona and tried to pretend he was on Majorca hunting Skase.
That was my personal favourite along with that plastic Naomi Robson with a fake lizard on her tailored kahki shirt at Steve Irwins funeral and Kochie jumping in the amublance with the miners in Tassie. Yep, Channel 7 has set new low standards in television 'journalism'. Yesterdays Justin Beiber (who?) beat up was another example of them continuing those standards.

mx250

« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2010, 10:59:04 am »
I fired off an email to Media Watch about the media's incredibly gun shy attitude to pronouncing Eyjafjallajokull .........
Shit, can you blame them ::) :P ;D.

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 01:10:11 pm »
I fired off an email to Media Watch about the media's incredibly gun shy attitude to pronouncing Eyjafjallajokull .........

Yes it's shameful especialy when words are a journalists tool of trade, if it were me a quick call/email to the Icelandic Embassy would have got the pronuciation correct. However 95% couldn't be bothered checking and took the easy route and ran with 'the Icelandic Volcano' instead which is plain slack.As Media Watch pointed out.A mere 15 second google search got this

Iceland Consulate , Australia
48 Kooyongkoot Road, Hawthorn
Melbourne
Victoria
Australia
Phone:
+61-3-98184282
Fax:
+61-3-98184460
Email:
[email protected]

I think today teenagers are far more media savvy than older generations. I saw though when party boy Cory Worthington sucked in TT or ACA with him and his mates staging a school yard fight and selling the story.....did you? Quite obviously they didn't as the 'exclusive' went to air with one bloke barely able to stop pissing himself laughing.

mainline

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 06:09:46 pm »

Yes it's shameful especialy when words are a journalists tool of trade, if it were me a quick call/email to the Icelandic Embassy would have got the pronuciation correct.

of all the words you could have spelt incorrectly you picked this one ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 06:50:57 pm »
Hey I work for Telstra not a journo, must admit it didn't look right. :o

mainline

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2010, 07:48:34 pm »
Don't worry loz, you're ahead of the game compared to most of them.

Media Watch actually ran a special show a few weeks back where they looked into the effects of digital media on the quality of journalism. In a nutshell, the result is that due to the demand for news as it happens (and the competition from every man and his dog posting mobile phone photos of the latest disaster on the internet), Journo's are being pushed to churn out reports at ever increasing rates.

Like most things these days it's quality not quantity, and unfortunately as each generation passes, it seems like less people care.

Someone posted a link a while back to this

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/magazine/24labor-t.html?_r=4&pagewanted=1

I liked it so much I bought the book. An interesting read, some of the philosophy content went a bit too far for me, but the crux of it was that people are feeling more anxious and more powerless as they are isolated bit by bit from doing anything tangible themselves.

One of the cases in point: the author talked about buying a Mixmaster in the 50's. The consumer expected the paraphenalia that came with it to include a full parts diagram so that when a component needed replacing, they just got one from the department store. Can you imagine ordering a spare part for nearly anything new today? I suppose modern electronics make that a bit difficult, but you know what I'm saying. Modern Mercedes apparently don't even have a dipstick? (apart from the driver ;D) you just take it back to the dealer when the warning light goes on.