Author Topic: CASTROL R30  (Read 14441 times)

albrid-3

Re: CASTROL R30
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 08:26:04 pm »
Thanks Jimbo, your a champion.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 12:09:46 am »
Wish girls would drink it ..what a sublime blending of scents when we sniff........ ;)
Firko if the R30 is in a can ,check for a rust film on inside of screw top lid, if there even on an previously unopened can, ditch it. If clear Bobs your weird Auntie. ;)
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

monaro308

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 08:48:10 am »
My left over race fuel also goes into the wife's car......and yep you can smell it at the back of the Kluger.

Evo.....2stroke mix does wonders for the O2 sensors - mainly destroying them ;D

Offline huskibul

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 09:05:34 am »
  Iv'e been runnin mine through the wife's incense oil burner whenever workin on the bike's  ;D makes you sleep good too ::)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 09:11:23 am by HuskiHoons »

DR

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2010, 10:14:18 am »
 :D I run a splash of A747 in the van occasionally for a bit of upper cylinder lube and also use it in the trimmers and blowers ;) day in day out 365ish days of the year and it's still a sweet sensation 8) Silkolene also make a version of R30..smells the same too ;D

Offline NR555

• A-Grade
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2010, 01:44:18 pm »
We run the CZ on A747 mixed with a special fuel brew  ;D  Not a bad sniff (after it's been burnt of course!)

Castrol R just makes me think of speedway bikes.  That stuff with methanol fuel is the best smell on the planet.

Offline evo550

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2010, 07:36:32 pm »
My left over race fuel also goes into the wife's car......and yep you can smell it at the back of the Kluger.

Oh! Maybe that's why it needs a new motor after 20000k's

Offline Hoony

• Legend
  • Melbourne, Vic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2010, 07:44:19 pm »
Castrol R just makes me think of speedway bikes.  That stuff with methanol fuel is the best smell on the planet.

back in late 80's when i still had my Weslake and after a lot of beers at a summer Barby at my place i used to fire it up late at night and take in the smell of methanol/R40. this was a regular thing done in my boozey youth. many an explanation was given to the cops that arrived afterwards.

being older now ( maybe not wiser, just crusty) if my neighbour did  this i would be rightly pissed off. i had no respect with many beers back then. apologies to any past neighbours.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2010, 07:47:45 pm by Hoony »
Long time Honda Fan, but all bike nut in general, Big Bore 2 stroke fan.    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XJoKP6MawYI
1985 Honda CR500RF "Big Red"
1986 Honda CR250RG
2005 KTM 300EXC "The GruntMeister" ( I love that engine)

Curly3

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2010, 08:18:06 pm »
I'm not sure if the smell from a Speedway engine involves R40 because they run a total loss system but I know what you mean. The smell in the pits at the old Syd Showground was " Intoxicatng " to say the least.
It is the first thing I noticed when I attended my first race meeting for 20 years at Nepean last year.
The smell is part of the experience.

mcmuffin

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2010, 09:39:53 pm »
i tend to perk up at the smell of my wifes shitty old victa.WHEN that baby fires ,bang bang bang,im on the startin line.avgas/ester800/silkolene pro boost.yeah baby.i dont care how much lawn........

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2010, 11:05:10 pm »

2T oil doesn't ruin O2 sensors far from it.Most cars have heated 4 wire lambda probes that basicaly burn any oil off. If lambda probes were ruined by oil there wouldn't be a Mitsubishi running........................
Jesus only loves two strokes

firko

« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2010, 12:17:57 am »
What about catalyctic converter damage Loz? I too used to throw my left over fuel in the car but the guy who services my Jeep told me that it would play havoc with the 02 sensors and cat converter. I wasn't convinced he was right but I stopped doing it just in case.

Offline Tim754

• Legend
  • Northern Country Victoria
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2010, 01:07:11 am »
 The heat in the cat should remove any dramas with the minicscule amount of leftovers you put through Firko.. then again Piss the cat off...... ;) Cheers
I may not agree with what you have to say, but I'll defend to the death your right to say it.
                                                   Voltaire.

monaro308

« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2010, 01:52:42 am »

2T oil doesn't ruin O2 sensors far from it.Most cars have heated 4 wire lambda probes that basicaly burn any oil off. If lambda probes were ruined by oil there wouldn't be a Mitsubishi running........................

I must be in the wrong trade for the last 30 years...straight from Bosch's site

Exposure to carbon, soot, harmful gases, anti-freeze, chemicals plus thermal and physical shock will shorten the life of an Oxygen Sensor. This results in increased fuel consumption, poor engine performance and excessive exhaust emissions.

From Performance Trends.......
The A/F sensors can even be used on 2 stroke engines, as shown below in the graph of results from an 85 cc 2 stroke.  The data was obtained with remote sampler fitted with a special trap for the oil aerosol developed by the dyno operator. The dyno operator says the A/F data is very valuable to track changes in tuning which has a large impact on the 2 strokes power output.  Note also how the head temperature gets warmer as the A/F gets leaner.  We will soon be able to fit an aerosol trap to our DT2-AFR Remote Sampling System for 2 stroke engines.  (Due to the high oil consumption of 2 strokes, sensor life is reduced and some systems do not recommend use with 2 strokes.  We are still investigating the accuracy on 2 strokes and the expected life of the sensors.)

Early cars aren't heated and i used to throw my left over kart fuel into my VN...trust me....it does what it says above.
Cars don't stop running with knackered O2's including the oil burning "bitsamissing" they just don't send the correct signal to the ECU/M anymore.
I'm dealing with Cats and O2's everyday in the emissions lab at work....but this thread is about R30
so i'll shut up now ;D

Offline Lozza

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 20, 2010, 05:49:43 pm »
Monaro it's where the sensor is placed, I'll defer to 'smurph' who is an EFI engineer and runs a microsquirt injected rz350 with a heated 4 wire lambda probe he's only done 10,000 miles or so ::)
Firko that is a load of mechanics uninformed rubbish there is a quite a few OEM 2T exhausts(Cagiva Mito/Aprilia RS 125/german RZ350 many snowmobiles) that have a cat in the chamber.

http://www.smcomp.com/~smurph/RZ-EFI/index.html

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1899

http://www.rzrd500.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1795
Jesus only loves two strokes