Author Topic: ATK history  (Read 16553 times)

Offline motomaniac

• Legend
    • View Profile
Re: ATK history
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2010, 04:58:04 pm »
pretty sure that this is Hannah testing the boyesen link at boyesens test track

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ic1FnxhLkA&feature=related

Offline Marc.com

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2010, 12:35:16 pm »
Overall I thought it wasn't a bad thing for something that sat outside the square.
I would have liked one of the 400's, interesting to read the 400 wasn't that good a motor.

not sure that Rotax motor in the 406 was a bad motor, it was just old air grinder and in a low state of trail bike tune, sort of felt like a DT400. Probably OK in early 80s but by late 80s you had some serious bikes like the KTM350 (best dirt bike ever) that made better power and went light years faster.
formerly Marc.com

firko

« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2010, 01:25:53 pm »
I've gotta differ with Marc on the 406 engine. While it was indeed down a bit on horsepower and technology compared to the Nipponese product of the era, with a bit of fiddling with the ports and an ultra lite aircraft spec rotary valve the bike turned into a formidable weapon. A mate of mine in the USA raced desert on one and won a lot of races on it. He sometimes did a wheel change and rode flat track with it too. I actually bought the bike (an '89 model) but sold it before I had a chance to ship it home (for a sweet little 100% profit to a Swedish guy). I rode the bike and compared to the CR500 that my mate had replaced it with it wasn't near as fast but it handled far better and turned like a Maico. In a 2 hour GP race (a 10k lap motocross/desert race sorta thing) the race times were within a minute of each other.
I later bought a 605 enduro model but once again, sold it before it was shipped home. I'm now thinking of a 250 electric start model from around 00-02. They're as cheap as shite and fast enough for this arthritc old pensioner.

viper42

« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2010, 09:43:51 pm »
Hi Firko,
Just to clarify one part of your statement, Atk(rotax) 406 engines are reed valve not Rotary valve.Certainly what you have stated is correct for the 250 model.

Viper 42

Offline crash n bern

• Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 01, 2010, 06:01:03 pm »
Firko, I've been trying to find one of these electric start atk 250's.  Can only find kickers.
http://dirtbike.off-road.com/dirtbike/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=266067